3. What natural disasters often strike Japan due to its location?
4. How has geography affected population patterns in Japan?
5. What are the four major foods in the Japanese diet?
6. Why is Japan dependent on world trade?
7. Define a homogeneous society.
8. Name three groups that the Japanese have discriminated against.
11. Give two examples of Chinese culture that were rejected by the Japanese.
15. Why did the Tokugawa shogun ate “isolate” Japan?
17. Which countries were allowed contact with Japan?
19. How did Buddhist sects followed by commoners and samurai differ?
21. “The way of the warrior” was called ____________. It emphasized ________________ above all else. What other values were respected by the samurai?
22. What restrictions governed the lives of commoners?
25. What additional rights were gained from later “ unequal treaties” with other western nations?
26. What was the Meiji Restoration?
27. Why did the Japanese decide to modernize?
28. Name two observations about Americans expressed by the Japanese. What does each observation reveal about Japanese culture?
29. What did the Japanese study from western nations?
30. What western ideas did Japan incorporate into their government un the Meiji emperor?
31. How did Japan modernize its economy?
32. Define zaibatsu.
33. How did the Japanese government change its military?
34. How did the Japanese raise the money to modernize?
35. Under the Meiji, what did the government require of all children?
36. By 1925, what right did all Japanese men have? When did women gain this right?
37. What did Japan gain as a result of war in 1895 and 1905?
38. Name two reasons that the Japanese expanded into Asia.
39. Why did extreme nationalists argue that Japan should not have stopped its overseas expansion?
40. What kind of government ruled Japan in the 1930s? What values did they encourage?
41. What mission did the new leaders promote?
42. In 1931, Japan invaded _____________. In 1937, the Japanese invaded ______________. Japan joined the alliance known as the __________ with ____________ and __________.
45. What tactics did U.S. forces use to fight against the Japanese?
47. Name three ways that General MacArthur ended Japanese militarism?
48. Explain three ways that the U.S. occupation built Japanese democracy.
49. Describe three ways that Japanese society changed after 1945.
50. Why do Japanese youth experience severe educational stress?
Chap. 19.2: 415-418
51. What had been called an economic miracle in Japan?
52. How did the Japanese build their economy after WWII?
53. Describe six reasons for Japan’s economic success.
54. Why does Japan face a serious labor shortage? What steps are the Japanese taking to solve this problem?
Chap. 19.3: 418-421
55. After WWI, what was Japan’s policy regarding the use of military force?
56. How has Japan’s military policy changed over the years?
57. How is Japan liked to the global economy?
58. Describe Japan’s relationship with China.
59. Why have relations between Japan and Korea been strained?
60. Over what islands do Russia and Japan have a longstanding dispute?
61. Why do Southeast Asian nations distrust Japan?
63. What is one similarity and one difference between Noh and Kabuki theatres?
64. What Japanese work is considered to be the world’s first great novel?
65. What is ukiyo-e art?