1. What was “the spark” that began World War I? Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
2. What was the Zimmerman telegram? Telegram sent from German from Mexico asking for
Mexico’s help in invading the US during WWI….intercepted and decoded by the British
3. What boat was sunk by German U-Boats that upset many Americans? Lusitania
4. What is an alliance? Agreement between nations
5. Who were the Central Powers (not ITALY!)? Germany, Austria Hungary, Bulgaria, Ottoman
7. What is propaganda? Material to sway public opinion
8. What year did the US enter WWI to protect its freedom of the seas from unrestricted submarine warfare? 1917
9. Who were the “Big Four?” What countries were they from?
10. Who did the European Allies want to pay for the war? Germany
11. What was Wilson’s peace plan called? 14 Points
12. What part of Wilson’s plan did he want approved more than anything else (And this was about
the only part that was approved!) League of Nations
13. What was the name of the treaty that ended World War I? Treaty of Versailles
14. What new countries were created after World War I? Finland, Latvia, Poland, Estonia,
Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia
15. What were the MAIN causes of World War I?
16. . How was Germany punished the Treaty of Versailles?
Had to take blame for the war, had to pay war debts, had to pay for all of the war, lost part of
their army and navy, lost their air force, lost their submarines.
17. The draft was established by this act? Selective Service ACT
18.Who commanded the American Expeditionary Force(US Military in Europe) during WWI? What famous city did they save on arrival? General John J Pershing/ Paris
19 What is a Liberty Bond? War Bond- used to loan money for war effort
20.What was Sergeant Alvin York awarded? Congressional Medal of Honor- Act of Valor
21. What is Total War? All of a countries resources are devoted to the war effort.