should be able to refer to their script for their quiz for help.
5. Fill out the Venn diagram with the class and check visually around the
room for a grade.
6. On the exam over the French Revolution, Chapter 18, include the
Timeline of Napoleon’s life.
7. Closure for the game day is the true/false quiz. Closure for the unit is a
review sheet of Chapter 18 and a unit test.
Chapter Title _________________________________________
Key Words Headings Subheadings
________________ _________________ __________________ ________________ _________________ __________________ ________________ _________________ __________________ ________________ _________________ __________________ ________________ _________________ __________________ ________________ _________________ __________________ Picture Walk: what predictions an you make about content based on visuals?
9. What was the name of Napoleon’s palace? ________________________
10. What was the downfall of napoleon? ____________________________
11. What was Napoleon’s new title? ________________________________
12. What did he do to defy the Pope during this ceremony? _____________
13. By 1809, what was Napoleon obsession? ________________________
14. Who was Napoleon’s his new wife? ____________________________
15. The Continental system was designed to weaken trade with which
16. When he invaded Russia, what mistake did Napoleon commit?
17. What was the island that Napoleon exiled the first time? _____________
18. The new leader of France was not well-liked. Who was he?
19. What was the amazing feat of Napoleon when he took over the
Number 3: My fame came from defeating Austrian armies in northern Italy.
Later, while fighting in Egypt against the Turks and British, I
suddenly returned to Paris and seize power. I set up a new
government headed by myself as first consul.
Panelist 7: How did the French people react to you becoming dictator?
Number 1: They were happy that the reign of Louis XVI was over. But
some feared I might abuse one-man rule much as Louis had.
Others were jealous of my vast political power. During an
assassination attempt, two fingers were shot off. I became self-
conscious of the wound and afterwards kept the injured hand
hidden inside of my coat.
Number 2:The name “Napoleon” was known across France and throughout
the rest of Europe. I became emperor of the French amidst wild
enthusiasm and celebration.
Number 3:The people voted my first consul for life. A year later, the
French Senate gave me the title “emperor.” I was even given the
right to choose my successor.
Panelist 8: What would you say is a fair description of your physical
Number1: Above average height, plain facial features, a rugged build, and
an overall neat appearance.
Number 2: Average height, handsome face with determined eyes, but a little
Number 3: I am rather short, have thick eyebrows and a small mouth, and
look quite unimpressive.
Panelist 9: A period of peace followed your takeover of the French
government. However, the desire to conquer other lands and
dominate Europe soon plunged France into years of warfare. At
one point you even sold the Louisiana Territory to the United
States to finance new military campaigns. After capturing
foreign lands, what steps did you take to keep these areas under
Number 1: A new government would be set up which included both local
representatives and French military personnel.
Number 2: I always kept a French general and several thousand soldiers
stationed in the captured territory. Their job was to oversee the
government and put down any revolts which might occur.
Number 3:I put my brothers, sisters, and friends on the thrones of Europe.
Panelist 10: How would you describe the relationship between you and your
Number 1: They had confidence in my ability and were willing to follow
Number 2: I think they feared me to some extent. But more importantly,
they respected my talent and felt I would lead them to great
Number 3: My men adored me. I was their idol.
Panelist 11: What nickname did the soldiers have for you?
Number 1: The “Old Fox.”
Number 2: They called me “Blood and Guts,”
Number 3: I was “The Little Corporal.”
Panelist 12: Besides being a military genius, you were a talented
government official. What were some of your
accomplishments as emperor of France?
Number 1: I organized a legal system called the “Code Napoleon,”
established French colonies in Africa, started a fair method of
taxation, supported business expansion, and increased religious
Number 2: I brought an end to years of wasteful spending by French kings.
As government spending was reduced, so were taxes. Privileges
given to the First Estate and Second estate were done away with.
Schools, hospitals, and roadways were built.
Number 3: I prepared a system of laws known as the “Code Napoleon,”
established a strong central government, founded the Bank of
France and the University of France, and started the Legion of
Honor to recognize the contributions of French soldiers and
Panelist 13: In the early 1800’s, few countries in Europe remained free of
French rule. Only Great Britain, Prussia, Russia, and Sweden
kept you from becoming master of the continent. You never
Number 2: I was imprisoned in London, guarded round the clock, and not
allowed to have visitors.
Number 3: I was sent to a lonely island off the coast of Africa to spend the
rest of my life. Friends and family deserted me. I spent time
writing about my personal life and military career.
MC: It’s time now to vote for NUMBER 1, NUMBER 2, or NUMBER 3.
All those who think NUMBER 1 is the real Napoleon, please raise
your hand. All those who think NUMBER 2 is the real Napoleon,
raise your hand. And all those who think NUMBER 3 is the real
Napoleon, raise your hand.
The votes are all in. Will the real Napoleon Bonaparte please step
Napoleon Quiz Directions: Now that you know who the real Napoleon is, look back at the answers given by this person (NUMBER 3). All information in these answers is correct. Use the information to answer the following true/false questions. Also, use facts in the MC’s introduction and in the questions asked by the panelists during the game show.
1. _____________ Napoleon had no military training before joining the
2. _____________ Confidence and determination were two of Napoleon’s
3. ____________ Careful planning was his secret for winning battles.
4. ____________ The French Revolution came to an end when Napoleon
seized control of the government and became first consul.
5. ____________ Napoleon had the look of a great general.
6. ____________ His troops idolized him and referred to him as “the Little
7. ____________ He was a talented government official whose
accomplishments included organizing a system of laws
called the “Code Napoleon.”
8. ____________ The disastrous invasion of Russia was the turning point in
Napoleon’s failure to conquer Europe.
9. ____________ Napoleon’s brief return to power after his imprisonment
on Elba was known as the “Hundred Days”.
10. ___________ French forces were finally defeated at the Battle of