1. The roundheads who were led by Charles I and made up of the nobility, fought against the cavaliers, who were led by
Oliver Cromwell and made up of primarily the gentry and townspeople
2. With officers picked on skill rather than social rank, the roundheads defeated the cavaliers, finally bringing the civil war to
4. After Charles’s execution, the House of Commons abolished the monarchy, the House of Lords and the Church of
England (Anglican). The House of Commons declared England a republic, called the Commonwealth, which was led by
5. The Commonwealth English brutally treated the Irish Catholics and crushed the levelers. The levelers sought to bring
Charles II to the English throne.
6. Under Cromwell and puritan rule, theaters were closed, gambling, drinking and dancing were discouraged. Jews were
welcomed back to England after 350 years in exile. This government also encouraged education for all classes and
genders and they promoted marriages based on love with greater fidelity (loyalty).
7. After Cromwell’s defeat in national elections in 1660, parliament invited Charles II to establish the English monarchy in
an event called the Restoration.
8. Charles II was a popular King who reversed many puritan prohibitions such as the one on theaters.
9. When James II became king, he continued many policies that pleased the puritans and parliament. To this day, James is
regarding as one of the most loved kings by parliament.
World History English Civil War T/F Mr. Thorsen