Visit the Internet sites at the links below and browse the articles and biographies for each individual to
answer the questions given. Please answer with complete sentences on this paper.
1. What did he invent in 1733?
2. Why did angry weavers attack John Kay’s home in 1753?
3. What did he invent?
4. What was his invention “capable” of doing?
5. What job did he have before becoming an entrepreneur?
6. What machine did he patent in 1775?
7. What task did his cotton gin do ten times faster than by hand?
8. He popularized the “American System” of mass production. What was this system?
9. He is known for making improvements to what type of engine?
10. What was named in Watt’s honor?
2009 NEH Landmarks of American History Workshop for School Teachers
America’s Industrial Revolution at The Henry Ford
11. What was he credited with inventing?
12. Why wasn’t his steamboat design successful on many western inland rivers?
13. What was he the first to create?
14. What is he erroneously known as?
15. He created a railway line that opened in 1830 between which two major British cities?
16. What did British law forbid when he moved to America?
17. Who did Slater build America’s first spinning mill with?
18. What was the source of power driving there machinery in the mill?
Francis Cabot Lowell
19. What did Lowell and his partners do to raise money for their mill?
20. What attraction might a farm girl have to go work in Lowell’s mill?
21. Why was he “hailed as a genius and a hero” in Chicago?
22. What business did he make his fortune?
23. Why did the Pullman workers go on strike in 1894?
24. After Pullman died, what were family members worried former employees would do?
25. What was his first patent (the “Real McCoy”)?
26. What did McCoy describe as his greatest definition?
27. How many patents is he credited with?
28. What did he invent in the summer of 1877?
29. What are three other inventions of Edison?
George Washington Carver