mudslinging – the use of insults to attack an opponents reputation
alliance – bond formed between groups or nations for mutual benefit
enforce – to make people follow a rule or a law
exile – group of people who are prevented from returning to their homeland
1. Describe John Quincy Adams ?
1. born in Massachusetts2. Republican
3. Secretary of State4. wealthy family (test answer – poor family)
2. The federal policy concerning which issue caused The Nullification Crisis in South Carolina ?
3. Describe President Andrew Jackson’s policy toward Native Americans…
removing and relocating Native Americans
4. Why did many Americans support the Indian Removal Act of 1830 ?
It …opened Native American lands to settlement by white citizens
5. In 1828, the U.S. Congress increased taxes paid on imports to protect newly established Northern industries from foreign competition. The Southern economy was hurt by this protective tariff because it – increased the price of foreign manufactured goods
6. List the ‘nicknames’ used during Jackson’s Presidency ?
1. the large sums of money that speculators borrowed from banks
49. What was South Carolina’s reason for passing the Nullification Act ? (H)
to protest the tariff of 1832 50. List Andrew Jackson’ qualities that helped his widespread support among voters ?
1. he was a champion of the common people
51. Who did the new political party of the 1830s support ? Andrew Jackson
What was the new party named ? Democrats 52. In the 1830s, most Eastern states made what change in their voting requirements ?
a man no longer had to own property to vote 53. Why was President Andrew Jackson’s called “King Andrew” by his opponents ? (H)
his intention to expand presidential powers
54. Why caused Andrew Jackson to accuse Henry Clay and John Quincy Adams of the “corrupt bargain” ? Clay persuaded House members to vote for Adams 55. What was opposed in John Quincy Adams’ plans for economic growth ?
they feared the federal government would become too powerful
56. What did the Whig party do to appeal to voters in the 1840 election ?
it represented its candidate as a common person 57. What led to the increased suffrage in the 1820s ? the growing spirit of equality in the US
58. Which group most suffered financially from the Tariff of Abominations ? (H)
Southern planters 59. What major event happened during Martin Van Buren’s presidency ? (H)
the nation suffered through a 3-year depression Find the year for each of the follow:
60. __1787__ US Constitution – document created on September 17 at Constitutional Convention
61. __1639__Fundamental Orders of Connecticut – expanded the idea of representative government