13. Alice Paul wrote, “There will never be a new world order until women are a part of it.”
Which practice best reflects the concern expressed in this quotation?
C) Women’s suffrage
14. How did muckrakers impact the Progressive movement?
A) They wrote books and articles that challenged big businesses.
B) They agitated for women’s suffrage.
C) They campaigned for Theodore Roosevelt’s re-election.
D) They pushed the Eighteenth Amendment through Congress.
15. How did child labor change as a result of progressive efforts?
A) Progressive legislation enabled younger children to support their families.
B) Laws were passed to allow children to work and go to school part-time.
C) Thirty states outlawed child labor by 1907.
D) Children received better pay and benefits.
16. What did Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, and Carrie Chapman Catt all have in common?
A) They opened settlement houses in New York and Chicago.
B) They worked for women’s suffrage beginning in the mid-1800’s
C) They wrote books addressing the Standard Oil Trust and meat packing industry.
D) They implemented Robert La Follette’s Wisconsin idea in the Oregon System.
17. Because powerful political leaders were controlling the election of senators, what change did the Seventeenth Amendment make?
Party leaders were no longer allowed to vote.
Political parties were disbanded.
Senators were elected directly by the people.
Senators were elected by the state legislatures.
18. She opened the Hull House in Chicago in 1889 to help provide poor residents, mostly immigrants, with medical care, recreation programs, and English classes.
19. Use the following passage to answer the following question.
“There would come all the way back from Europe old sausage that had been rejected, and that was moldy and white—it would be dosed with borax and glycerine, and dumped into the hoppers, and made over again for home consumption….There would be meat stored in great piles in rooms; and the water from leaky roofs would drip over it, and thousands of rats would race about upon it.”
~Upton Sinclair, The Jungle
Which of the following was a DIRECT result of the publication of Sinclair’s book?
Meat Inspection Act
Formation of the Agriculture Department
Formation of the Bureau of Corporations
Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations