B) Because no Constitutional Amendments had been passed, blacks could not have any political power in the South.
C) Blacks were proportionally represented in all Southern states at the Constitutional Convention.
D) The Freedmen's Bureau had been successful in gaining land and education for former slaves.
8. Which President oversaw the end of the Reconstruction Era?
A) Andrew Johnson
B) Abraham Lincoln
C) Ulysses S. Grant
D) Rutherford B. Hayes BT4
9. The Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments reflected the growing 19th century American trend of
A) granting universal manhood suffrage.
B) upholding rights of free speech and religion.
C) decreasing the power of the Federal government.
D) recognizing the basic civil liberties of all races. BT5
10. Which statement BEST explains why Reconstruction ended?
A) African Americans were finally beginning to prosper financially.
B) Enforcement of Reconstruction Acts decreased because of political compromise.
C) Reconstruction was intended to be a short-term event that would end in 10 years.
D) Reconstruction policies were no longer needed when the Southern states rejoined the Union.
11. Northerners who relocated to the South after the Civil War were called
A) Carpetbaggers. B) Copperheads.
12. Which BEST describes the way the Fourteenth Amendment affected the states?
A) States had to give all citizens, regardless of their race or religion, equal protection under the law. B) States could no longer make any laws that were not approved by the federal government.
C) States had to pass laws that gave more rights to freed slaves than to other citizens.
D) States could no longer institute poll taxes or tests for citizens before they voted.
13. President Andrew Johnson's leniency with former Confederate officials and his veto of legislation designed to provide civil rights and financial aid to former slaves angered
A) the Redeemers.
B) the Ku Klux Klan.
C) the Know-Nothing Party.
D) the Radical Republicans. 14.
"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution
This amendment was created primarily for the purpose of
A) punishing southern states.
B) avoiding another Civil War.
C) granting former slaves suffrage. D) granting women the right to vote.
15. The population growth in the American west following the Civil War was made possible mainly by
A) railroads. B) telegraph.
D) cattle ranching.
16. According the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, citizens of the United States are BOTH
A) people who are born here and people who move here. B) people who are born here and people who are naturalized here.
C) people who are born here and people who obtain a driver's license here.
D) people who are born here and people who have a friend or family member living here.
17. Ratification of the Fifteenth Amendment meant which of the following?
A) Blacks had the right to vote.
B) Blacks, immigrants, and women had the right to vote.
C) Blacks were afforded citizenship.
D) Slavery was declared illegal.
18. What effect did the 13th Amendment have on the United States?
A) It changed elections by granting African-Americans the right to vote.
B) It ended the slavery debate forever by outlawing the institution throughout the country.
C) It helped the North win the Civil War by freeing the slaves in Confederate states while maintaining slavery in the Union.
D) It granted land and the right to an education to freed slaves.
19. How did Southern states attempt to capitalize on free black labor before the Fourteenth Amendment?
A) They made sharecropping mandatory under Reconstruction governments.
B) They passed Black Codes that allowed indenture and prevented blacks from owning land.
C) They worked with the military to arrest black vagrants and force them to work their way out of jail.
D) They nullified the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments.
20. Read the headlines below and answer the question that follows.
“Freedman’s Bureau established”
“South divided into military districts”
“Thirteenth Amendment passed”
Which political program in the post-Civil War period is reflected in these headlines?