1. During the 1930s, the United States focused largely on
2. During the 1930s, Hitler, Mussolini, and the military leaders of Japan
3. Nazism was an extreme form of
4. An important strategy used by American forces in the Pacific was
5. In 1940, one of the greatest rescues in the history of warfare occurred
6. Who inspired the British people to resist the German invasion?
7. Hitler used which of the following military strategies when invading Poland?
8. When did the U.S. declare on the Axis Powers?
9. What did women face new job opportunities during the war?
10. What did the federal government do to finance WWII?
12. How did things change on the home front for African-Americans during the war years?
13. The Germans were finally halted in their advance into the Soviet Union at the battle of ______
14. When was DDay? What happened?
15. What did Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin decided to do at the Yalta conference?
17. Because of the war, large numbers of women began to work as _____________________________________
18. What happened to Japanese-Americans during World War II?
19. The largest battle fought in Western Europe during WWII was
20. What inspired Franklin Roosevelt to organize the top-secret Manhattan Project quickly?
21. What happened after the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
22. The Soviet Union wanted to rebuild after the war in ways that would ________________________________
23. Why did the United States become involved in affairs in the Middle East following World War II?
24. After World War II, what organization was formed on the basis of the Atlantic Charter?
25. What changes took place in the African-American civil rights movement after WWII?
26. After the war, the Soviet Union quickly took control of ______________________
27. What are satellite nations?
28. What did President Truman promise in the Truman Doctrine?
29. What was the main goal of the Marshall Plan?
30. What was the Berlin airlift?
32. For nearly 50 years, the Cold War was characterized by
33. President Truman ordered an end to discrimination in
34. Which country controlled Korea for much of the first half of the twentieth century?
35. How was Korea divided at the end of World War II?
36. The Chinese Civil War also led up to the ________________ War.
37. Which president ordered an end to discrimination in the military?
38. Americans thought the invasion by North Korea was initiated by
39. What was the outcome of the Korean War?
41. What was the final resolution of the Korean War?
42. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was based on the principle of
43. What impact did Joseph McCarthy have on American society?
44. Under President Eisenhower, the United States acted to oppose Soviet influence in _____________.
45. What was the result of the Soviet launch of Sputnik in 1957?
46. Television helped spur economic growth through its
47. What did American society in the 1950s expected women to do?
48. Rock-and-roll gave the young people of the 1950s
49. The Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education ended
50. Kennedy’s victory in the 1960 presidential election was a___________________.
51. What major issues were addressed in the New Frontier proposals?
52. What did president Eisenhower do when Fidel Castro seized American property in Cuba?
53. In 1961, President Kennedy committed NASA and the nation to the goal of ___________________.
54. What event brought the United States and the Soviet Union to the brink of nuclear war?
55. Why did the Soviets build the Berlin Wall?
56. How did the Soviets provoked Kennedy to quarantine Cuba?
57. What was the eventual result of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
58. What was the Warren Commission decision on Kennedy’s assassination?
59. How was Martin Luther King, Jr. influenced by Gandhi?
61. What were the major beliefs of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)?
62. Who were the organizers of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)?
63. The Black Panthers wanted African Americans to __________________
64. Who wrote “Letter from Birmingham Jail” ?
65. Why did Civil rights leaders target Birmingham in 1963?
67. The goal of Freedom Summer and the Selma March were to make people aware of what?
68. What effect did television coverage of the brutal tactics used against protesters by the Birmingham police have on Americans?
69. What was the goal of the 1963 March on Washington?
70. What was the highlight of the March on Washington?
71. What changes took place after Congress passed the Voting Rights Act of 1965
73. What were the results of the of the civil rights movement?
74. Which U.S. leaders were assassinated in 1968?
75. What were the major guiding principle behind the foreign policies of Kennedy and Johnson?
76. The term feminism describes the theory of
77. The women’s movement of the 1960s grew out of women’s frustration with
78. What was exposed by the book Silent Spring ?
79. The women’s movement borrowed legal tools and inspiration from which other movement?
80. How did the appearance of counterculture, men and women change during the 1960s?
81. What was the Woodstock festival?
82. What did the United States fear would happen if it did not get involved in Vietnam?
83. What major advantage did the Viet Cong guerrillas have over the U.S. military?
84. What was Agent Orange used for during the Vietnam War?
85. What event caused the major escalation of the war in Vietnam?
86. What effect did television have on the Vietnam War?
87. The student protest movement of the 1960s emerged from the ___________________________
88. What happened at Kent State University?