“Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire” webquest http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/trianglefire/
1. What city was this factory located in?
3. Describe a typical sweatshop.
4. Why was Pauline Newman lucky to get a job at Triangle?
5. What time did Pauline’s workday begin?
6. How did she get to work?
7. Did workers get paid overtime?
8. Why did workers accept such conditions?
9. How much did she earn each week?
10. What was her job?
11. What did the children workers do when the inspectors came to the factory?
12. What was the company afraid workers would steal?
13. Why did she become famous?
14. Did she die in the fire?
15. Why could many people not escape from the fire? So what did many end up doing?
16. Who proposed an official day of mourning?
17. How much did the company offer to pay the families of the dead girls?
18. How were the survivors of the fire helped?
19. Were the owners of the factory, Blanck and Harris, held responsible for the deaths due to the fire?
20. What reactions do you have?