22. Elixir of Life –substance, sought by alchemists, that would prolong life indefinitely
23. Gobelin looms –the cloth produced by the Gobelin family in 15th century Paris; was prized all
over the world
24. Holy Writ –the Bible
Study Questions 1. (a) How is Pearl described outwardly? (b) How is Pearl described inwardly? Cite some specific passages and their page numbers for both. (c) How do you interpret this contrast?
2. Why does Hester visit Governor Bellingham? What have the Puritans in the community threatened to do to her and Pearl, and why?
3. Explain how Dimmesdale “saves the day” for Hester and Pearl. In what way does “[Pearl] save [Hester] from Satan’s snare” (49)?
4. (a) Describe Dimmesdale’s physical condition. What possible causes for his decline are suggested? What do you think is the reason for this? (b) “Did he wish to die?” ( ) ---what do you think?
5. (a) Describe the relationship between Dimmesdale and Chillingworth. (b) Explain the irony about the tapestry hanging in the widow’s home where the two of them are staying.