1. What was the name of the compromise that dealt with slavery that was written into the Constitution? The Missouri Compromise
2. What did the compromise do? The Missouri Compromise seemed to solve the problem by admitting Missouri as a slave state and Maine as a free state, keeping the number of free and slave states equal. It also divided the rest of the Louisiana Purchase into slave and free territory.
3. How did the Missouri Compromise solve the problem of the balance of free and slave states? It made Missouri a slave state and Maine a free state.
4. What year was Maine admitted to the Union? Was it a free or slave state? 1820 it was a free state.
5. What year was Missouri admitted to the Union? Was it a free or slave state? 1820 it was a slave state.
6. What does this section of the document state about fugitive or "runaway" slaves? After the Fugitive Slave Act was passed, if a runaway slave was caught, they had to be sent back to their "owners" by law.
7. Who proposed the solutions for the Compromise of 1850? Henry Clay
8. Did California want to be a free or slave state? Why was this a problem? They wanted to be a free state. It was a problem because it would unbalanced the amount of free and slave states.
9. In the compromise, how was the issue of slavery solved in the territories of New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah? Pay off debt and also be organized without mention of slavery.
11. When California was admitted as a free state, what was passed to pacify [to calm someone who is angry] southern states? To pacify slave-state politicians, who would have objected to the imbalance created by adding another free state, the Fugitive Slave Act was passed.
12. What did the Fugitive Slave Act require officers of the law to do? Made any Federal marshal or other officers of the law responsible for arresting in runaway slaves.
13. What does the poster above warn the colored people of Boston about? About officers coming to get you if you run.
14. Why do you think many slaves fled to Canada after the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act? Because they didn’t want to be there for the law.
16. What did the Compromise of 1850 accomplish? It kept the nation united
17. What issue would divide the country for the next decade? Slavery
18. What do you think would be the result of the divisions between free and slave states? I think it would be no that good because every state would want slaves but the slaves don’t even want to be a slave.
19. Look at Compromise of 1850 map. What were the territories open to slavery? Utah, New Mexico, and Ceded by Texas.
20. What do you think might happen in the territories that were open to slavery? They were probably struggling and needed slave to do their work.