2. (10) In this play, the young writer Konsantin Trepliov falls in love with the actress Nina Zarechnaya, who leaves him for Trigorin, a better-known writer.
Answer: The Sea Gull (Chaika)
3. (15) This long story begins at a beach in Yalta, where Dmitri Gurov meets the title character Anna Sergeyevna, who leaves her husband and much turmoil to be with Dmitri.
Answer: “The Lady with the Dog” (“Dama s sobachkoi”)
6. Answer these questions about a European king, for ten points each.
1. (10) Son of Henry the Fowler and Matilda, he consolidated his German kingdom before he served as Holy Roman Emperor in the late tenth century.
Answer: Otto I or Otto the Great (prompt on “Otto”)
2. (10) After this group invaded Germany, Otto decided to stop their advance. With his son Liudolf, Otto decisively defeated them at the Battle of Lechfeld in 955.
3. (10) When Henry, Otto’s brother, began an uprising in Lorraine in 939, he was aided by Eberhard of Franconia and this French king, son of Charles the Simple.