Due Friday 12/11 1. Why did President Hoover believe that private relief for people suffering from the depression was preferable to relief from the federal government?
2. What were the limits of volunteerism?
3. Was Hoover indifferent to the suffering of the American people? (give evidence for your response)
4. What was the Bonus Army?
5. How did the government react to the Bonus Army’s march on Washington? How did it affect the 1932 election?
6. Democratic presidential candidate Franklin D. Roosevelt promised the American people a “new deal”. Although he did not outline what this new deal might look like, why did he win a landslide election against Herbert Hoover?
7. Describe the banking crisis of February 1933.
Due Monday 12/14 Use Ch. 25 of the text to help you fill out this chart. (next page)
First New Deal Legislation (FDR’s First Hundred Days)
Read the section titled “Critics Right and Left” (p. 736-7) Make a list of groups/individuals who criticized the New Deal (as either doing too much or too little). Explain their reasons for their criticism.