Texas, Virginia, Ak
2. Had their own government and president who was Jefferson davis
3. Printed their own newspaper.
B. Military Officers
D. Civil Wars are the most painful of all conflicts
1. Declared naval of the Confederate coastline (cut off supplies)
2. Seize control of the (cut south into 2 parts)
3. Take Chattanooga, TS to
4. Seize Confederate capital of Richmond, VA (gain control of the government)
B. South war aims:
1. Shape their and keep
2. Repel northern
3. Seek support from who depended on US cotton/tobacco
1. Blockade put in place
2. Gen. U.S. Grant controlled Mississippi River by 1862
3. Took control of Chattanooga
4. Took Richmond – April 1865
D. Jan 1, 1863, Lincoln signed “ “freeing slaves
A. black troops served in the Union Army and Navy
1. Found (look and felt free)
3. Shed their “plantation manners” personalities
B. Most famous was 54th Massachusetts volunteers (Film: Glory)
A. Disease and diarrhea: improper , negligent hygiene, garbage, sewers, bad .
1. Napoleon Cannon
B. Tactics Changed:
3. sent up for spying/reconnaissance
D. Battle of Gettysburg
1. 1863 – Lee invaded North with 75,000 southern soldiers – North-
a. Lee ordered to lead assault against heart of Northern troop
b. Lee’s charge= disaster: 51,000 casualties in three days:
2. Ran away and joined
3. about their ages
C. What were the boy’s responsibilities?
1. for the regiment
2. Fife or players
3. Members of the infantry
4. (Go-fers or errand boys)
D. Notable statistics of boys killed in the war
1. Ages of the boys killed
a. 100,000 killed were under years of age
(George Lamkin from Mississippi was wounded at Shiloh- age 11)
2. 25 boys killed were under the age of .
a. 3. Percentages
A. of the Union Army was made up of boys under 21
B. only of the troops were over 30
IX. Total Destruction of the South
A. Wm. T Sherman’s “ “
B. South’s economy wiped out- became worthless.
B. March 4, - Abe is sworn in for second term
C. Grant took April 1, 1865
D. Lee’s men were now out-numbered by .
E. Lee and Grant met to sign truce at the town of .
1. Grant’s terms were generous:
a. Confederate soldiers free to .
b. Could take all including horses, mules, etc.
c. Were treated and fed
3. Suffered the death of in 1864
4. Wife became (Mary Todd Lincoln)
C. Strange dream
1. Ford’s Theater “ .”
2. Fired point blank at the back of Lincoln’s head
3. Lincoln died the next day in the across from Ford’s Theater.