Bwa initiation masks_____________________
e. How dolls relate to role of children in traditional Africa
Example: Yoruba twin figures from Nigeria
Mossi Biiga dolls
E. Living Areas (text p. 919 on)
Painted ___________ in West Africa
Yidoor means __________________
Geometric motifs also used for _____________and ____________ of the skin.
Decorating themselves, homes & possessions = function of art as part of
E. Funeral Rituals ( p. 932-)
Death is viewed as a ____________ not an ending.
Dogon hold a collective _________ rite every 12-13 years
Kuba people use ______________ to honor the dead and to admonish spirits.
II. Politics, War, and History of Africa A. Early Foundations
Ancient _____ founded on the Nile River in 4000 BCE
8000 BCE – mountain images painted/carved into sides
___________ culture probably moved South from drying up grassland in 500 BCE
use ________ (metal)
created Terra Cotta sculptures
4. City of Ife (Nigeria) founded in 800 CE (Kingdom of Benin)
B. Kingdom of Benin (book p 921, class presentation)
1. Ife sacred city of the _____________ people
2. Court artists worked in ____________ cast sculptures, 1170 –
3. Elaborate carvings were made in ____________ to tell
4. Yoruba palace art was often made by ______________
Her piece in the book is entitled __________________.
Used symbols from _______________________________________
B. Congolese Painting
1. _________________________ was a leader (one of the only democratically elected) and became a national hero and a symbol of African ________________from the European rules in the early 20th century.
2. He was ______________________ by his enemies in the early 1960s.
3. In modern and postmodern Congolese painting, he is portrayed as a ___________________ and can be compared to __________________.
4. The Congo/Zaire was a colony of ______________ prior to gaining independence under Lumumba.
5.. Urban paintings in the Congo deal with themes of _____________
VI. Contemporary Shona Sculpture from ______________________
1. The Zimbabwe Shona sculptures use different _________ in their artworks; some parts are left as rough natural stone, others are smoothly _______________.
2. Unlike traditional African arts, these sculptures are NOT part of ceremonies or ___________________
3. Still reference cultural traditions in their subjects, such as