State Independent Living Council (silc)



Download 39.03 Kb.
Date31.05.2016
Size39.03 Kb.

State of California Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor



State Independent Living Council (SILC)

1600 “K” Street, Suite 105

Sacramento, CA 95814

Voice: (916) 445-0142

Fax: (916) 445-5973

TTY/TDD: (916) 445-5627

Summary of Meeting: 2011-2013 SPIL Working Group
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

2:30 – 4:00 PM (via Conference Call)

  1. Call to Order 2:30

  2. Introductions


Cherie Phoenix, SILC

Dr. Sue ElHessen, SILC

Paul DeMange, DOR

Susan Madison, Chair

Dwight Bateman, DOR

Cheryl Kasai, DOR

Louis Frick, SILC

Jenifer Ramirez, CCCIL

Eddie Rea, CFILC

Liz Pazdral, Executive Director, SILC

Caroline Disney, Office Manager, SILC

  1. Public Comment - none

  2. Status Update

    1. Needs Assessment

      1. Communication and Collaboration Committee work: Stu Hansen has been hired to take over the project. He has gathered the information, and is identifying current issues from the data he has so far. Those issues seem to be IHSS and community based services, housing and transportation.

      2. What group should oversee: The 2 committees (Communications and Collaboration Committee, Workgroup Committee) agreed to communicate with each other during the process of the Needs Assessment and writing of the SPIL. There is still some question as to whether the Workgroup will continue with the process entirely, or confer with the Communications & Collaborations Committee also.

      3. 6 out of the 29 centers responded to the request for Needs Assessment. Some sent 704 reports, and Stu will be able to use some information from them, but much of that information doesn’t apply.

      4. An email went out to ask the ILCs for specific information, with a deadline of November 13. Did this email include a request for people to define their concept of the IL network? That’s an important goal of the new SPIL, to strengthen the IL network, and we have to define it before we can strengthen it.

      5. Stu plans to send a draft by email to all committee members November 18, and make a presentation to the SILC Quarterly meeting in December.

    2. SPIL: All progress overseen by Workgroup Committee

      1. Liz’ vision and pieces: This workgroup committee would guide the DOR staff in writing the SPIL.

      2. Liz’ meeting w/ DOR: In the past, 3-4 people have done the writing

      3. DOR Role: Dwight (liaison between the working group and DOR) noted the designations of people from DOR involved in the formation.

        1. Cheryl Kasai – key writer (focus on format, technical information)

        2. Paul DeMange – editor

        3. Dan Clark – institutional historian

        4. Joanne Lavoi – ARRA

        5. Tim & Joe – legal policy & regulations

      4. Timeline:

        1. Phase 2-draft would go to Workgroup Committee

        2. Phase 3-present draft to December meeting

        3. First draft ready for approval in January-February

        4. Public hearings – February-March

        5. Seek comments – March-April

        6. Final draft presented at May Quarterly SILC meeting

      5. Revision of timeline

        1. Realistically won’t be drafted by February

        2. Stu will present his Needs Assessment report at December 1 meeting

        3. On December 1, full council will discuss report and determine issues to emphasize, and areas of priority, that will become the next SPIL’s major goals.

        4. Full council will then develop strategies for achieving those goals during joint quarterly meeting with CFILC in February (date TBA). (We won’t have drafted any actual language yet.)

        5. Need to develop strategies regarding transportation, employment

        6. Attending SILC Congress will no doubt offer opportunities for Teddie-Joy and Dr. Sue to pick up themes and language to use in the new SPIL.

      6. Would like to hire a consultant to facilitate at the December and February quarterly meetings, when the Council will be discussing SPIL goals and strategies.

        1. In light of state financial condition, hiring outside consultants may be looked at as extravagant

        2. A facilitator from DOR is not available on December 1 or in February, so we need to find someone else who’s good at facilitating and whom we can afford. Names mentioned: Monique Parish; Catherine Blakemore; anyone with a state rate; someone from San Diego State University TACE program (Liz and Louis are both on the TACE board)

        3. Technical Assistance grants possible; TACE might help, but might have some restrictions.

        4. If we can’t get a facilitator for both meetings, it would be preferred to get one for the February joint meeting with CFILC .

      7. Susan asked Dwight to find out how long it would take to produce the first draft

        1. Cherie offered to work with Cheryl on creating a generic strategic planning outline that illustrates the hierarchy and definition of goals, objectives and strategies, to be presented at the December meeting.

        2. We want to be sure to have community meetings to review the SPIL draft to ensure consumer input. There should be 5-10 stakeholders from identified parties

        3. DOR team is responsible for formatting the document according to RSA’s template, which has changed since our last SPIL. Liz hopes it will be fully accessible since we will not produce a SPIL that is not.

RSA hasn’t sent out the new template yet and may not until close to the due date of the final draft. Cherie suggested we focus on the content; Cheryl can lay down the new format around the content once RSA sends out the new formatting requirements.

  1. Picking a recurring meeting date

    1. Every two weeks: Tuesday afternoons – 2:30 to 4:00 (although we may adjourn earlier, we will not go past 4:00.)

    2. Next meeting: Tuesday, November 24, 2:30-4:00

  2. Other Workgroup Members?

a. There was discussion around inviting the other Ex Officios to join the workgroup but consensus was that a small, committed group would be most effective.

  1. Action Items to be accomplished before next working group meeting.

    1. Send out next agenda for 11/24 by Nov. 14. Liz will post agenda

    2. Liz will contact Monique Parish, Catherine Blakemore, Karen Sax or Tom Siegfried to determine their availability and fees for facilitating at the next two quarterly meetings.

    3. Dwight will report on timeline at December SILC meeting

    4. Cherie and Cheryl will create outline and definition of goals, objectives and strategies for December meeting. (Will be handed out separately since binder goes to print next Tuesday.)

    5. Facilitator report

    6. Incorporate showing “SILC 101” from ILRU at Dec meeting.

  2. Adjournment: 3:45



___________________________________________________________

If disability-related accommodations are required for your participation in SILC meetings, please contact the SILC at (916) 445-0142 no later than seven (7) days before the meeting. All materials are to be approved prior to distribution at SILC meetings, and must be available in alternate formats if requested by attendees. In consideration of attendees who are sensitive to environmental odors created by chemicals and perfumes, please avoid the use of fragrances if attending this meeting.

Additional Materials for the meeting:
These are the questions to be answered by the Needs Assessment:
What is the greatest area of need for the SILC to address with regards to strengthening the network of Independent Living Centers in California?
What are the top three to five greatest unmet needs for persons with disabilities living independently in California?
What are the top three ethnic or disability minority communities most in need of independent living services?
What are the top three geographic regions in California in need of additional independent living services?
Below are additional questions that need to be answered in the SPIL:
Describe the overall goals and mission of the State's IL programs and services. The SPIL must address the goals and mission of both the SILS and the CIL programs.
If the State allows service providers to charge consumers for the cost of services or to consider the ability of individual consumers to pay for the cost of IL services, specify the types of IL services for which costs may be charged and for which a financial need test may be applied, and describe how the State will ensure that:

  • Any consideration of financial need is applied uniformly so that all individuals who are eligible for IL services are treated equally; and

  • Written policies and consumer documentation required by 34 CFR 364.59(d) will be kept by the service provider.


Provide an overview of the existing network of centers (29 vs. 50), including non-Part C-funded centers that comply with the standards and assurances in section 725 (b) and (c) of the Act, and the geographic areas and populations currently served by the centers.
Describe the method that will be used to periodically evaluate the effectiveness of the plan in meeting the objectives
Identify any State-imposed requirements contained in the provisions of this SPIL


The SILC Mission: To Maximize options for Independence for Persons With Disabilities.


Share with your friends:




The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2020
send message

    Main page