Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crocket is an intriguing Americans Tall Tale. She was born into a family of nine brothers. She was stronger and faster than all of them and at the end finally proved to them.
1. Sally Ann always used her power for good not evil.
2. You always need to dare to be different.
This was an inspiring Tall Tale to read. Sally Ann used her abilities and extra power for good. Her brothers finally learned to accept her for who she was and what she could do.
1. What is an American Tall Tale?
2. How did Sally Ann change the eagles into bold eagles?
3. How many brothers did Sally Ann have?
Evaluation #2 Maria Brown Traditional Literature: Fable
Once a Mouse
New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1961. -1
A hermit was thinking of big and little when a mouse ran by. He changed the mouse into several different creators to project him. The hermit found the creator was not grateful and sent the mouse back into the forest in its original form.
1. Be grateful for what you receive.
2. Gifts can be taken back.
The moral of the story was a great aspect. A lot of us take what we have or what is given to us for granite. Hopefully the mouse will live long enough to learn his lesson.
1. Why did the hermit change the mouse into a cat?
2. Why did the hermit change the tiger back into a mouse?
3. What thoughts do you have about big and little?
Evaluation #3 Ed Young Traditional Literature: Fable
Seven Blind Mice is a Chinese Fable. It is about seven blind mice seeing different aspects because they do not look at the entire picture.
1. Look at all aspects of a picture.
2. Something very small could be part of something larger.
This was written in a very simple but clever way. Each mouse only saw a part of the elephant and due to that saw something other than an elephant.
1. What did all seven mice see?
2. How did the white mouse know it was an elephant?
3. Why couldn’t the first six mice see what the object was?
Evaluation #4 Gabriela Mistral Traditional Literature: Fable
Crickets and Frogs
Athenaeum, New York: A Margaret K. McElderry Book, 1977. -1
There was an old Cricket by himself in the gully. Soon the old Crickets singing gather several other crickets and frogs. The cricket and frogs competed night after night with their singing. They never could agree and the old Cricket was never alone again.
1. It is always good to come to some kind of an agreement.
2. The crickets and frogs will be in forever battles with singing.
Crickets and Frogs did show the conflict of disagreement and that it could happen if you can not reach an agreement. I do not like how the message was sent due to I am not sue a younger child will pick up on the moral of the story.
1. Who sang louder the crickets or the frogs?
2. Where were the crickets chirping from?
3. Why didn’t the frogs just eat the crickets?
Evaluation #5 Donna Rosenberg (Illustrator) Traditional Literature: Myth
This is an African Myth about the creation of human beings from the area of the Sudan Republic that is south of Khartoum, along the White and Blue Nile rivers.
1. All people were made as perfect human beings.
2. Juok’s heart was happy with all he had created.
The Creation of Human Beings was a very interesting perspective, depending on what or who you believe in. We all have a different idea of how we were made. I really enjoyed this story and would think that 5th-6th graders would like this book.
1. How do you think humans were created?
2. What was Juok a creator of?
3. How did Juok create men and woman?
Evaluation #6 Gerald McDermott Traditional Literature: Myth
San Diego, New York, London: Voyager Books-Harcourt, Inc., 1992. -1
Zomo, an African American Trickster Tale, was a rabbit who wanted wisdom. The shy God told him to earn his wisdom he needed three things. Zomo went and gathered his three things; scales of Big Fish, milk of Wild Cow, and a tooth of Leopard. Sky God gave Zomo wisdom.
1. Zomo had 2 things worth having, his courage and good sense.
2. The Sky God was very powerful.
My reaction was that Zomo was very brave to do the dangerous things he did. He wanted his wisdom, which the Shy God gave to him, but now needs to watch out for his angry friends.
1. What would you ask the Sky God for?
2. Zomo was brave and clever, RO what qualities do you have?