Case Western Reserve University
In this round, there are 10 tossups. A correct answer = 10 points + first chance at a 20 point bonus related to the tossup. Opponents can earn bonus points missed by the first team. Boni are not read if a tossup is not answered correctly.
1. Toppled by an earthquake around 224 BC, it lay in ruins until AD 653 when the rubble was sold off as scrap metal. For 10 points, name this 100‑foot‑tall bronze statue of the sun god Helios, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
ANSWER: The Colossus of Rhodes
BONUS. Name these types of structures for 10 points each.
Pioneered by Buckminster Fuller, it describes a structure in which all the pieces provide the tension to keep the structure up without using internal supports.
ANSWER: geodesic dome
This specific item keeps an arch standing without having to cement the bricks comprising the arch.
2. Bertolt Brecht fled the country before the rest of this group was voted in contempt of Congress; Edward Dmytryk would later turn state’s evidence. For 10 points, name this group of producers, directors, and screenwriters blacklisted after refusing to testify before the House Un‑American Activities Committee.
3. Named after Ol’ Joe’s distillery in the comic strip L’il Abner, this division of Lockheed is officially named Advanced Development Projects. Started in 1947 by Kelly Johnson, it has designed the P‑80, F‑104, U‑2, SR‑71, and F‑117. For 10 points, name this smelly division of Lockheed.
ANSWER: Skunk Works
BONUS. For the stated number of points, given the following U.S. Air Force airplane designation numbers, give the official nickname of each aircraft.
3.1.  B‑2 ANSWER: Spirit
3.2.  F-22 ANSWER: Raptor
3.3  P‑38 ANSWER: Lightning
4. The ratio of the volumes of 2 similar right circular cylinders is 27 to 125. For 10 points, what is the ratio of their altitudes?
This is the ratio of a cylinder to the rectangular prism enclosing it.
ANSWER: p:4 or pi to 4 This was the ratio at which slaves were to be counted for the purposes of electoral representation according to the Constitution.
5. The inclusion of this program differentiated Microsoft Office Standard, version 4.2 from Professional, version 4.3. All full versions of Office 95 and 97, though, have included this database program. For 10 points, name the program, which is also what contributors are said to buy with contributions to candidates.
BONUS. For the stated number of points, answer these questions about database languages.