Wax example (and the 2 lessons Descartes learns from it)
Clearness & distinctness criterion of truth
Proof of God’s existence
Why this argument is circular
Essay topics (you’ll write on ONE of these)
1. What are the Forms, and what are they supposed to explain? What are Aristotle’s arguments against them?
2. According to Locke, how can we be sure that the world is as it appears?
3. What are Berkeley’s criticisms of Locke’s position?
4. Present & explain Descartes’ argument for God’s existence. Why does he need this argument, and why doesn’t it work?
5. Present, explain, & evaluate Anselm’s Ontological Argument for God’s existence (reductio ab adsurdum version).