2. The federal policy concerning which issue caused The Nullification Crisis in South Carolina ?
3. Describe President Andrew Jackson’s policy toward Native Americans…
4. Why did many Americans support the Indian Removal Act of 1830 ?
It … 5. In 1828, the U.S. Congress increased taxes paid on imports to protect newly established Northern industries from foreign competition. The Southern economy was hurt by this protective tariff because it… 6. List the ‘nicknames’ used during Jackson’s Presidency… 1. 2.
7. Why did Andrew Jackson veto Congress’ Bank Bill ?
To… 8. Describe Andrew Jackson… 1.
9. Before the election of 1828, the percentage of eligible voters who cast ballots was…
10. What is the definition of suffrage ?
11. What group decided the Presidency in the Election of 1824 and 1828 ?
1828 – 12. Why did the Political parties of the mid-1800s became more democratic ?
13. Who was elected President in 1828 ? 14. How did John Quincy Adams become President after the election of 1824 ?
15. List the programs President John Quincy Adams favored… 1.
16. What is the practice of rewarding supporters with political jobs known as ?
17. Why did President Andrew Jackson oppose the Bank of the United States ?
18. What is the ‘unconstitutional’ belief that a state has the right to cancel a federal law called ?
19. Why did Senator Daniel Webster of Massachusetts not believe in states’ rights ?
20. Which state passed The Nullification Act ? 21. What did President Jackson’s supporters want him to do with Native Americans ?
37. Who became President after William Henry Harrison died in office ?
38. Why did President Jackson believe that the Bank of the US was unconstitutional ?
39. What conclusions did President Jackson have regarding the Bank of the US ? 1.
40. How were people’s voting rights affected by the growing democratic point of view in 1820s ?
41. Which group thought of Andrew Jackson as their champion ?
42. In the 1830s, which political party attracted former supporters of John Quincy Adams ?
43. In the 1824 presidential election which group actually chose the president ?
44. What characteristic(s) would describe the new politics reflected in the campaign of 1840 ?
45. How was temporary peace between political parties in the 1820s achieved ?
46. What policy/program caused John Quincy Adams to be an unpopular President ?
47. In what way(s) did the high protective tariff of 1828 affect Southern planters ?
48. What caused the Panic of 1837 ? 1.
2. 49. What was South Carolina’s reason for passing the Nullification Act ?
50. List Andrew Jackson’ qualities that helped his widespread support among voters… 1.
51. Who did the new political party of the 1830s support ?
What was the new party named ?
52. In the 1830s, most Eastern states made what change in their voting requirements ?
53. Why was President Andrew Jackson’s called “King Andrew” by his opponents ? 54. What caused Andrew Jackson to accuse Henry Clay and John Quincy Adams of the
“corrupt bargain” ?
55. What was opposed in John Quincy Adams’ plans for economic growth ? 56. What did the Whig party do to appeal to voters in the 1840 election ?
57. What led to the increased suffrage in the 1820s ? 58. Which group most suffered financially from the Tariff of Abominations ? 59. What major event happened during Martin Van Buren’s presidency ?
Find the year for each of the follow: 60. ______ US Constitution – document created on September 17 at Constitutional Convention 61. ______Fundamental Orders of Connecticut – expanded the idea of representative government 62. ______Louisiana Purchase – US bought land from France and doubled its size
63. ______Mayflower Compact – agreement signed by Pilgrims for self-ruling the Plymouth colony 64. ______ Declaration of Independence – document stating the 13 colonies were a free nation