1. New Immigrants: _______________________________________________________
2. Madison Grant: ________________________________________________________
3. 100% Americanism: _____________________________________________________
4. Immigration Act of 1921 _________________________________________________
5. Johnson Reed Immigration Act of 1924 _____________________________________
B. Primary Source Interpretation
1. (Comment by Congressman Albert Johnson)
“Our capacity to maintain our cherished institutions stands diluted by a stream of alien blood, with all its inherited misconceptions respecting the relationships of the governing power to the governed… The day of unalloyed welcome to all peoples, the day of indiscriminate acceptance of all races, has definitely ended.”
Paraphrase the above quote and restate the message and meaning of the quote.
2. Political Cartoon.
What is the message of this cartoon? To what specific event does it refer?
1. Birth of a Nation: _________________________________________________
2. 100% Americanism _______________________________________________
B. Venn Diagram:
The Old Ku Klux Klan (1860s and 70s) vs. the New Ku Klux Klan (1920s)
C. Primary Source Interpretations – Political Cartoons
What is the message of the cartoon? Identify the symbols used in the cartoon in your answer.