13. Why do you think Rachel steals her father's "household gods"?
14. What is the sociological significance of Gen 31:14-15?
15. Why do you think the strange wrestling incident (32:24-32) is placed in the midst of the story of Jacob's encounter with his brother?
16. How many etiologies can you find in Gen 32:24-32? Do you think these etiologies were added later to the narrative or are they integral to it, even its raison d'etre?
17. Think about the theme of exogamy vs. endogamy (marriage outside the group, however "group" is defined, vs. marriage in the group) and the relations between neighbors in Gen 34.
18. Trace or outline the narrative patterns in the cycle of stories about Joseph in Gen 37, 39-50. What is the significance of dreams in this story cycle? What role do they play structurally and thematically?
19. What does Gen 38 tell you about the author's view of women's role in Israelite society? About the importance of progeny, that is, of continuing the patriarchal line?
20. Why are so many of the heroes and heroines of Genesis tricksters?
The Exodus: Formation of a People III. September 28, Oct. 1, 3