1. Edward STRODE. Born about 1665. Edward died before 1697; he was 32.
Edward married Susannah HATCHETT.
They had the following children:
2 i. Edward (1691-1785)
ii. Jeremiah. Born in 1693/1694.
3 iii. Samuel (~1695-1765)
4 iv. Martha (1696-1762)
Family of Edward STRODE (1) & Susannah HATCHETT
2. Edward STRODE. Born in 1691 in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, England. Edward died in Chester County, Pennsylvania in 1785/1799; he was 94.
In 1719 when Edward was 28, he married Eleanor, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Eleanor died in 1761/1773.
They had the following children:
5 i. Susannah (1721-)
ii. Edward. Born on June 2, 1723 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Edward died before August 8, 1749; he was 26. 
6 iii. Letitia (1725-1799)
7 iv. James (1727-1795)
8 v. John (1729-1805)
9 vi. Jeremiah (1732-1785)
3. Samuel STRODE. Born about 1695 in France. Samuel died in Loudon County, Virginia in 1765; he was 70.
about 1728 when Samuel was 33, he first married . died before 1751.
In 1751 when Samuel was 56, he second married Ann, in Frederick County, Virginia.
They had one child:
i. Samuel. Born on December 16, 1754. Samuel died in Mason County, Kentucky on August 15, 1842; he was 87.
Founder of Strode Station in Mason County, Kentucky.
Samuel married Ann WATSON.
4. Martha STRODE. Born in 1696/1697 in France. Martha died in North Carolina on August 24, 1762; she was 66.
In 1719 when Martha was 23, she married Morgan BRYAN, son of Francis BRYAN III & Sarah BRINKER, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Born in 1671 in Denmark. Morgan died in Rowan County, North Carolina on April 3, 1763; he was 92.
The sons Joseph, William and Morgan, Jr. were founders of Bryan Station, Fayette County, Kentucky.
FAYETTE COUNTY (KY) GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY, Fall 1996
Bryan Family by Melvin E. Hurst August 1996
Morgan Bryan immigrated from Ireland, with his younger brother William Smith Bryan, in 1718 to Pennsylvania where about four or five oldest of his children were born after his marriage to Martha Strode in 1718/19. About 1728/30 Morgan Bryan, Alexander Ross and other Friends (Quakers) obtained a grant of 100,000 acres of land on the Potomac and Opequan Rivers in Virginia. Morgan moved his family to this land and settled near the present site of Winchester about 1730. Here the rest of the children were born to Morgan and Martha Strode Bryan. Morgan sold his interests in Virginia and in the, fall of 1748 moved his family to North Carolina and settled in the Forks of the Yadkin River.
William Bryan was born in Pennsylvania in 1733 and moved to Rowan County, North Carolina with his father, Morgan Bryan. It was there that he married Mary Boone, born 1736 in Pennsylvania, sister of Daniel Boone, to which was born five sons. Three of these sons were killed in the early days of Kentucky and Mary Boone Bryan with her other two sons returned to North Carolina till after the war. They returned to Kentucky, going down the Licking River to a spot eighteen miles from the mouth of the river and established their home known as Bryan's Ford. Mary Boone Bryan lived her remainder of her life and died in 1819 on the farm of her son, Samuel Bryan.
The year of 1779 brought a large tide of immigration to Kentucky and permanent settlements were being made in the area now known as Fayette County. The Bryan family is very much entrenched in the early history of Kentucky as evident by the their migration into central Kentucky and establishing one of the fortifications that was able to withstand the Indian attacks from the north during the Revolutionary War. In 1779 and 1780 William, James, Joseph, Morgan, George, Samuel, David and John Bryan all entered for land tracts lying in the area of the station they had built named Bryan Station. The land tracts totaled about 13, 000 acres and the brothers felt they were erecting Bryan Station on land that was included with these entries.
Bryan Station was established by four brothers, William, Morgan, James, and Joseph Bryan and William Grant, all who had brought their families, with their possessions, from the valley of the Yadkin River in North Carolina. William Bryan was considered to be the leader of the party, while William Grant was a relative since both had married a sister of Daniel Boone. Most of the men had large families, with some of the children grown which was an advantage since they needed men to fight the dangers on this new frontier. Two other men from Virginia, William Tomlinson and Cave Johnson, joined the party and helped them build the fortifications. The party followed the trail of other settlers and reached Fort Boonesboro on the Kentucky River, where they added needed supplies before pressing on to the area they would select as Bryan Station.
This piece of land was later determined to be a tract of one thousand acres that had been surveyed in 1774 by Colonel John Floyd for Colonel William Preston of Virginia. The cabins were placed in a parallelogram, 600 feet long by 150 feet wide on a high spot near a spring. Others joined the party and the number of cabins was about twenty with blockhouses built at each comer of the enclosure. During the winter of 1779-1780 a court was held at Bryan Station to settle land claims and give the settlers the certificates for the land they claimed. The certificate gave the pioneer 400 acres of land actually settled and and a pre-emption right to purchase at a price one thousand acres more adjoining his settlement, provided the settlement had been made before January 1, 1778, and on land to which no one held legal claim. It was at this time the Bryans discovered they had erected the station on land which did not belong to them.
The Indian threat was always at hand, but with crops to be planted and game to be shot the men had to venture out into this danger. During one of these hunting trips William Bryan took six men while James Hogan took the other half of the party to secure meat. James Hogan and his men were able to avoid the Indians but William Bryan's men ran into an ambush, during which William Bryan was fatally wounded and died a few hours later back at the station. Many facts led to the Bryans to abandon the station and go back to North Carolina by August of 1780, their leader was killed, the Indians had captured Ruddles and Martins Stations which were not too far from Bryan Station, and the land was not theirs. Many other families also elected to return with the Bryans to North Carolina not to return to Kentucky till later. During the winter of 1780 and spring of 1781 a great many other settlers reached the area and used the vacant cabins of Bryan Station before going on to other settlements, many of these were from Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
They had the following children:
10 i. Joseph
ii. Mary. Born circa 1719 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Mary died on February 25, 1741-42; she was 22.
circa 1739 when Mary was 20, she married Thomas CURTIS.
11 iii. William (1733-1780)
Family of Edward STRODE (2) & Eleanor
5. Susannah STRODE. Born on May 29, 1721 in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Susannah first married Edward SOUTHWOOD. Edward died about 1749.
They had one child:
i. Edward .
Edward married Rebecca SPAHR.
In 1759 when Susannah was 37, she second married ROBERTS, in Frederick County, Virginia.
6. Letitia STRODE. Born on August 19, 1725 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Letitia died in Hardin County, Kentucky on December 25, 1799; she was 74.
On August 30, 1741 when Letitia was 16, she married Jacob VANMETER, son of John VANMETER (1683-1745) & Margaret MOLLENAUER (ca1687->1745), in Frederick County, Virginia. Born in March 1723 in Somerset County, New Jersey. Jacob died in Hardin County, Kentucky on November 16, 1798; he was 75.
Letitia Stroud who married Jacob Van Meter was a daughter of James Stroud (Strode) of Frederick County, Virginia. She was born on 30 August 1725 and died on 25 December 1799 in Hardin County, Kentucky. Jacob and Letitia are buried on their farm on Severns Valley Creek, about two miles above the present site of Elizabethtown, where they settled in 1780, the year that this part of Kentucky County became Jefferson County, Virginia. Prior to migrating to Kentucky, Jacob and Letitia moved from Frederick County, Virginia, before 1770 to southwestern Pennsylvania, where they settled near the present community of Carmichaelstown on Muddy Creek, a tributary of the Monongahela River. Jacob and Letitia had twelve children: Eleanor, who married ----- Kline; Abraham, who married Elizabeth Kline; Rebecca, who married (1) Edward Rawlings and (2) Frank McKenzie; Susan, who married the Reverend John Garrard; Elizabeth, who married (1) John Swan, (2) Thomas McNeil and (3) Judge John Vertrees; Rachel, who married Isaac Pritchard; Mary, who married (1) David Hinton and (2) Major William Chenoweth; Isaac, who married (1) Martha Hubbard Hoagland, widow of Captain Henry Hoagland, and (2) Jane Carson; Margaret, who married Samuel Haycraft; Jacob, Jr., who married Elizabeth Rhoads; John, who married Dinah Holtzclaw House, daughter of Henry and Nancy Holtzclaw; and Alsey, who married Jacob Rhoads (Who Was Who in Hardin County, Hardin County Historical Society, Elizabethtown, 1941, photocopy from Barry W. Downs). David Hinton, the husband of Mary Van Meter, drowned in the Ohio River on the trip to Kentucky. Samuel Haycraft and John Garrard (Gerrard) also came to Kentucky with Jacob Van Meter. Haycraft and two others of the expedition, Captain Thomas Helm and Colonel Andrew Hynes, erected blockhouses about a mile apart, in a triangle, where Elizabethtown now stands. Haycraft’s was on the hill above the cave spring, Helm’s was on the site of the later residence of Governor John L. Helm, and Hynes’ completed the triangle. In 1780, these, and Jacob Van Meter’s fort in Severns Valley, were the only settlements between the Falls of the Ohio and the Green River. When Jacob Van Meter died, his son Jacob, Jr. placed a sandstone marker on his grave, upon which was engraved, "Here lies the body of Jacob Vanmatre died in the 76 yare of His age November 16 1798." (History of Kentucky, Lewis Collins, 1847, revised Richard H. Collins, A.M, LL.B., 1874, reprinted Kentucke Imprints, Berea, 1976.)
They had the following children:
i. Eleanor. Born on October 17, 1742. Eleanor died after April 28, 1802; she was 59.
about 1760 when Eleanor was 17, she married Jacob CLINE.
ii. Abraham. Born on June 13, 1744. Abraham died in Squire Boone’s Frot Near Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky in 1781; he was 36.
Abraham married Elizabeth CLINE.
iii. Rebecca. Born on September 6, 1746. Rebecca died in Hardin County, Kentucky after 1805; she was 58.
In 1765 when Rebecca was 18, she married Edward RAWLINGS/ROLLINS, in Berkeley County, Virginia.
iv. Susannah. Born on July 2, 1750. Susannah died in Hardin County, Kentucky after 1816; she was 65.
In 1768 when Susannah was 17, she first married John GARRARD.
before March 20, 1790 when Susannah was 39, she second married Maurice BRADY.
v. Elizabeth. Born in 1752. Elizabeth died in Hardin County, Kentucky after 1803; she was 51.
In 1769 when Elizabeth was 17, she first married Capt. John SWAN.
between 21 Nov. 1787 and 20 May 1788 when Elizabeth was 35, she second married Thomas McNEILL, in Lincoln County, Kentucky.
On July 7, 1783 when Elizabeth was 31, she third married Capt. John VERTRESS.
vi. Rachel. Born in 1753. Rachel died in Mercer County, Kentucky on May 25, 1841; she was 88.
Rachel first married Isaac PRITCHARD/PRITCHETT.
On August 22, 1796 when Rachel was 43, she second married Enoch McKENZIE.
vii. Mary. Born on February 11, 1757. Mary died in Nelson County, Kentucky on June 29, 1832; she was 75.
In 1773 when Mary was 15, she first married David HENTON.
On October 4, 1781 when Mary was 24, she second married Major William CHENOWETH, in Nelson County, Kentucky.
viii. Isaac. Born on February 2, 1759. Isaac died in Grayson County, Kentucky on November 4, 1840; he was 81.
On July 29, 1783 when Isaac was 24, he first married Martha HUBBARD, in Lincoln County, Kentucky.
On April 5, 1825 when Isaac was 66, he second married Jane CARSON, in Hardin County, Kentucky.
ix. Margaret. Born on December 27, 1759. Margaret died in Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Kentucky on April 12, 1843; she was 83.
On September 9, 1778 when Margaret was 18, she married Judge Samuel HAYCRAFT, son of James HAYCRAFT, in Bark Fort, Pennsylvania. Born on September 11, 1752 in Virginia. Samuel died in Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Kentucky on October 15, 1823; he was 71.
The Biographical Encyclopaedia of Kentucky, Cincinnati, Ohio: J. M. Armstrong & Company, 1878; New Material Copyright by the Rev. Silas Emmett Lucas, Jr., Southern Historical Press, 1980, p. 222.
HAYCRAFT, JUDGE SAMUEL, Pioneer and Farmer, was born September 11, 1752, in Virginia, and was the son of James Haycraft, an English sailor, who belonged to the British navy. His father's ship touched some American harbor, probably on the coast of Virginia, about 1740, and, for some cause, he remained in this country. He married in Virginia, and himself and wife both died, leaving three sons-James, Samuel, and Joshua, who were raised by Col. John Nevill, a wealthy Virginian. Samuel Haycraft received a good commonschool education, and remained with Col. Nevill until he was of age, when, with a letter of recommendation, he started out to shift for himself in the world. He entered the army as a common soldier, and served his time out, in the war of the Revolution. While in his soldier's uniform, he was married to Margaret Van Meter, at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; in the Fall of 1779, emigrated, with the whole Van Meter family, to Kentucky; in the Spring of 1780, settled at Cave Spring, in what is now Hardin County; built a fort, in which he long resided with his family; shared in all the trials and dangers of the early settlement; kept pace with the growth of the country; served as sheriff of his county; was one of the judges of the Court of Quarter Sessions; was one of the Assistant judges of the first Circuit Court organized at Elizabethtown; represented his county in the Legislature, in 1801 and 1809; was one of the first who built a house in Elizabethtown; was characteristically hospitable, his house being one of the popular resorts during the sessions of the early courts; was a man of great honor and probity of character, and was one of the most useful and highly esteemed of the old pioneer farmers of Kentucky. He died October 15, 1823. One of his children, at least, still survives him. (See sketch of Hon. Samuel Haycraft, Jr.)
x. Jacob. Born on October 4, 1762. Jacob died in Meade County, Kentucky on December 12, 1850; he was 88.
On October 7, 1786 when Jacob was 24, he married Elizabeth RHOADS, in Nelson County, Kentucky.
xi. John. Born on October 4, 1764. John died in Grayson County, Kentucky after 1822; he was 57.
In 1784 when John was 19, he married Dinah HOLTZCLAW, daughter of Henry HOLTZCLAW & Nancy.
xii. Alcinda “Alsey”. Born about 1766. Alcinda “Alsey” died in Grayson County, Kentucky in 1834; she was 68.
Alcinda “Alsey” married Jacob RHOADS.
7. Capt. James STRODE. Born on December 20, 1727 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. James died in Berkeley County, Virginia on March 7, 1795; he was 67.
In 1755 when James was 27, he first married Ann Hamilton FOREMAN, in Hamilton, Frederick County, Virginia. Born on October 21, 1731 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Ann Hamilton died in Berkeley County, Virginia on June 29, 1786; she was 54.
They had the following children:
12 i. Susannah (1756-1835)
ii. Phoebe. Born on December 8, 1757 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Phoebe died on July 8, 1786; she was 28.
On January 5, 1777 when Phoebe was 19, she married Capt. Josiah VANSWEARINGTON.
iii. Eleanor. Born on June 27, 1760 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Eleanor died on September 23, 1853; she was 93.
On December 27, 1780 when Eleanor was 20, she married Capt. Abraham SHEPHERD, in Berkeley County, Virginia.
iv. Rachel. Born on October 19, 1762 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Rachel died on October 15, 1839; she was 76.
On December 22, 1784 when Rachel was 22, she married Capt. Henry BEDINGER, in Berkeley County, Virginia.
On March 29, 1787 when James was 59, he second married Chloe Elsey CHENOWITH, in Berkeley County, Virginia.
They had the following children:
i. James. Born in 1788/1790 in Berkeley County, Virginia. James died circa 1795; he was 7.
ii. Ann. Born in 1790/1791 in Berkeley County, Virginia.
before February 1810 when Ann was 20, she married Elias EDWARDS.
iii. John W. Born about 1793 in Berkeley County, Virginia.
John W. married Elizabeth.
In 1794 when James was 66, he third married Elizabeth FRYATT, in Virginia. Born about 1775 in Virginia.
8. Capt. John STRODE. Born on January 11, 1729 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. John died in Strode Station, Clark County, Kentucky on August 18, 1805; he was 76.
John Strode came to Kentucky territory in 1776. John Strode, a patriot, built Strode’s Station, which, in 1780, was besieged by Indians.
John Strode's Station 
Strode's Station constituted one of the most important locations of pioneer defense in the Central Kentucky area, on a par with Bryant's Station in Fayette County and Ruddle's Station in Harrison County. It was first improved in 1776 when John Strode built a "half-face cabin" on his 1000-acre preemption. He returned east for a time but was back by 1779 when he commenced the building of a stockaded station. Numerous settlers helped him. The Clinkenbeard interviews provide the most detailed description of the site. Isaac Clinkenbeard and his brothers John and William, came from Berkley County, Virginia in the fall of 1779 (Draper mss. 11CCl-4; Beckner 1928) with the Swearingens, William and Joshua Burnet, the Taylors, Patrick Donaldson and his family, and Pressly Anderson. Two cabins, occupied by John Strode and John Constant, had been erected when Clinkenbeard's party arrived. Strode promised land to those who cleared for nine years. Isaac and William each cleared 3-5 acres. Others who helped to build the station in the fall of 1779 included Daniel Spohr (Draper mss. 11CC107-110), Major John McIntire (Ardery 1940:77, 80), Thomas Kennedy, Benedict Couchman, Joshua Stamper (Staples 1933:231-233) and others amounting to nearly 30 families by 1780 (Staples 1934:4). John Strode, who William Clinkenbeard characterized as "pretty much of a coward" and a Tory, left in the spring of 1780 and did not return for three or four years. Most of the heaviest occupancy (and virtually all of the Indian attacks) took place in his absence. Many of the earliest settlers of Strode's Station were "Tories", according to Clinkenbeard, who viewed them with considerable disdain. However, a substantial number of early settlers in Kentucky considered themselves good English citizens and the Revolutionary War caused considerable stress between those for and those against independence. Many of these "Tories" later left Strode's Station.
A full list of the inhabitants of Strode's Station would be impossible to compile because the population shifted so much during its long occupation. However, a partial list of settlers can be compiled from the consulted sources. Only the male head of the household is given below unless other family names are known.
Source: William Clinkenbeard article (Beckner 1929)
William Clinkenbeard's father (arrived 1782)
William Clinkenbeard and wife (1779 to 1786)
John Strode (1779-1780; c. 1783 and after)
Enos Terry Stephen Biles (Boyle) (1779 - 1785 later)
Additional names from Drake (1942)
Major George M. Bedinger
Captain John Fleming
Additional names from other sources:
Daniel Weibel (Kentucky Gazette, March 6, 1792)
Daniel Spohr (Draper mss. 11CC107-110)
Cook and Lytle, storekeepers (Kentucky Gazette, December 21, 1793)
John Filson (Draper mss. 12CC61-64, 79-96)
Josiah McDowell (Ardery 1940:77, 80)
Edward Wilson (Staples 1934:4)
William Clinkenbeard (Beckner 1928) provides the most comple description of the station. He stated that the bulk of cabin a stockade construction was completed in 1779-1780. He also outlined plan of the station layout, named the occupants of each cabin i provided other descriptive details (Beckner 1928:99-102; compiled (Figure IV-45).
Right between Stephen Bile's [Boyle] and Matthias Spahr's [Spohr] houses, on the east side, was a big gate, swung like a water gate, on pivots, but with the lower half the heaviest, so that it kept down, made so that it could be propped up with a stick, and wagons and sleds, wood, and corn, or anything could be taken in. Puncheons must have been about ten feet long at least and two inches thick . - . The other big gate was in the north end. The two were made as nigh alike as we could make them. Old Pressly Anderson, I think, lived on the one side of that gate till he got afraid and went back to McGee's - . - and my father, after he came, I think [lived] on the other. There was a little gate between old Mr. Mooney's and Joe Dark's where Patrick Donalson was shot, on the west side. Only one house between theirs and the corner of the fort. A horse might have been taken through this gate. The cabins were all covered only one way, with the high side out. Maybe two or three rods, there where that wet weather drene [drain] ran along, that there were no cabins; it was all picketing; dry in any weather. The houses were not close together. They picketed [the ford] in the spring. The ends of the fort went right up to where the turnpike is now--not quite up to it - . . no more cabins put up after that first winter [1779-1780] that I recollect of . . .
Every fellow had a garden round the fort that wanted one. It was all in one field with no fencing between. Not all of the gardens, but parts of them. One-fourth of an acre was allowed to each farm yard and staked off. The side next to the creek, the east side, was entirely open, uncleared, till old Edward Wilson came to the country and did it. The spring was on the east, outside next to the creek. Spring used to be in the creek, and there was a smart bank next to the fort there then. But the bank had been trodden down, tramping of cattle, and the spring had broken out higher up the creek than it was; . . . on the north end a corn field came pretty nigh the fort. The garden was on the south and west end and side. A lane ran right about where the turnpike now runs, through the plantation . . . the corn field fence extended down nearly to Constant's Station. Then went down to the woods and so to the west to that lane. As high as 100 acres in that corn field. No fencing of parts off. There was no passage at all out to the northwest. The garden on the west was separated by a fence from the corn field. On the south side the lane ran all along clear through the plantation. The corn field extended over west so that part of that wet branch was in it.
Strode's Station suffered frequently from Indian horse-stealing raids and occasionally major attacks. A notable attack took place March 1, 1781. Seven of the men at Strode's (John Douglass, John McIntyre, John Hart, Frederick Couchman, Samuel Taylor, Isaac and William Clinkenbeard) were ordered to guard Boone's Station and were absent at the time of attack. Upon their arrival at Strode's they discovered the Indians had killed all but one of the sheep and all of the cattle. Only thirteen or fourteen men living at Strode's and three or four from McGee's happened to be present at the time of the attack. Patrick Donnalson (Donaldson) and Jacob Spahr were killed during this altercation.
In part due to the intensity of Indian threat, Strode's Station was inhabited for a relatively long time. William Clinkenbeard remained there or at Constant's for seven years. Others stayed longer. The defensive need had largely abated by 1790, and the station was used as a court house in 1792 (Draper mss. 11CC175; Bedford 1958). During its main occupation, school was taught there by Thomas Parvin and possibly John Rice and William Sudduth (Draper mss. 11CC43-44; Jillson 1936; Beckner 1928).
The location of Strode's Station is well documented in primary sources such as those previously quoted. John Strode's 1000-acre preemption, on which the station was built, was located on Strode's Creek, adjoining Stephen Boyle and John Constant (Figure IV-37; BrookesSmith 1976:204; Virginia Survey Book 1, p. 188). The station was located at the junction of the present Caudill Road and State Highway 60 (the Winchester-Lexington Road) on the east limits of Winchester. The turnpike mentioned by Clinkenbeard (Beckner 1928) later became Highway 60. Caudill Road (formerly Van Meter Road) apparently was not in existence or was only a foot path at the time of the station's occupancy.
The station was built north of present Highway 60 and on the west side of Strode's Creek. The long axis of the stockade was oriented roughly north-south. A wet weather stream flowed southeast diagonally through the station, across the northern half. It is still visible although portions of it have been filled in. The station's distance from Strode's Creek is not stated in any consulted reference; however, judging from the topography, it probably was placed at or above the 920 ft. elevational contour, some 300 feet from the present channel.
Archaeological remains that appear to be associated with the station have been reported in the past. Bedford (1958) stated that a large unmarked cemetery with many human graves was uncovered during the construction of a by-pass around Winchester from Highway 60 to the Boonesborough Road. Also, during the construction of the Bluegrass Seed Cleaning building (later the McCormick Machine Shop) on the northeast corner of Caudill Road and Highway 60, old hearthstones, a bullet mould, other early artifacts and "ash heaps" were uncovered (Jillson 1966).
A reexamination of the site area indicated that the construction of Caudill Road probably disturbed a portion of the site since the building where artifacts were uncovered is on the east side. However, Caudill Road may have developed from a lane running through the middle of the station between the lines of cabins. This would have logically occurred after the stockading was removed and cabins were refurbished for reuse, probably in the 1790s-early 1800s. While the east line has probably been disturbed by construction and land modification, the west side is in pasture which, a local resident reported, had not been plowed in his memory (Jim Caudill 1984: personal communication). The potentially intact section is in very dense sod. Mr. Caudill also stated that a springhouse once stood across Highway 60 on the east side of Strode's Creek where an access road to the by-pass has recently been built. The presence of archaeological remains was not verified because the current landowner of the pastured portion of the site could not be reached and the site was viewed from Caudill land. However, because its location is well documented, it was designated 15Ck364 by the Office of State Archaeology.
On November 25, 1758 when John was 29, he married Mary BOYLE, daughter of James BOYLE (-1756) & Sarah, in Frederick County, Virginia. Born on February 22, 1733/34 in Culpepper County, Virginia. Mary died in Clark County, Kentucky in November 1814; she was 81.
They had the following children:
13 i. Elizabeth (1759-1825)
ii. Edward (Died young). Born on November 2, 1761 in Berkeley County, Virginia.
iii. Eleanor (Died young). Born on August 27, 1763 in Berkeley County, Virginia.
14 iv. James (1765-1830)
v. Mary “Polly”. Born on December 27, 1766 in Berkeley County, Virginia.
about 1786 when Mary “Polly” was 19, she first married Robert McMILLAN. Born in 1762 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Robert died in Clark County, Kentucky in February 1811; he was 49.
On November 27, 1790 when Mary “Polly” was 23, she second married John PARRISH, in Clark County, Kentucky. 
15 vi. John (1768-1834)
16 vii. Anne Nancy (1770-1855)
17 viii. Susannah (1771-<1805)
ix. Jeremiah. Born on October 5, 1773 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Jeremiah died in Nacogdoches, Texas on April 26, 1860; he was 86. Resided in Texas in February 1835.
Jeremiah married Nancy (Sarah?) McGOWAN, daughter of James McGOWAN & Susannah STRODE (12) (1756-1835). Born about 1776 in Virginia. Nancy (Sarah?) died in Fleming County, Kentucky on August 28, 1845; she was 69.
x. Letitia. Born on February 5, 1775 in Berkeley County, Virginia. Letitia died in Christian County, Virginia after March 6, 1855; she was 80.
There is a story told of Letitia that when she was a child she was taken a long distance on horseback by her father to visit Molly Pitcher. Being very weary after her long journey, she was put to sleep in Molly Pitcher’s bed. 
On October 26, 1791 when Letitia was 16, she married William LANDER, son of William LANDER & Hannah SKINNER, in Bourbon County, Kentucky.  Born on February 22, 1765 in Loudon County, Virginia. William died in Christian County, Kentucky on July 13, 1834; he was 69.
18 xi. Stephen (1777->1850)
xii. Thomas. Born on August 5, 1779. Thomas died before March 1814; he was 34.
xiii. Eleanor. Born on February 16, 1783 in Frederick County, Virginia. Eleanor died in Platte County, Missouri on April 17, 1868; she was 85. Buried in Brasfield Cemetery, Platte County, Missouri.
On December 27, 1797 when Eleanor was 14, she married Thomas LAFFERTY, in Clark County, Kentucky. Born on January 14, 1771. Thomas died in Clark County, Kentucky on July 25, 1828; he was 57.