Register Report First Generation

Download 1.11 Mb.
Size1.11 Mb.
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   ...   16

Register Report

First Generation


1. Margaret McCRACKEN. Born in Ireland.
In 1763 Margaret first married John HINKSON, son of John HINKSON (-<1751) & Agnes, in Ireland. Born circa 1729 in Ireland. John died in New Madrid, Missouri circa 1789; he was 60.
Genealogy and History of Captain John Hinkson and his wife Margaret Hinkson (nee McCracken)


George A. Stuhlmann

History of John Hinkson, a great grandfather of Catharine Martin

Mitchell and third great grandfather of Edna Mitchell Stuhlmann

Captain John Hinkson, often referred to in early history as Colonel or Major Hinkson, was born near Belfast, Ireland about 1740. He came to America and Westmoreland, Pennsylvania. Quite a lot of history could be written about him between the time he came to Westmoreland County and 1775, but we are leaving that research and history to be written by a younger person.
In March or April 1775, Hinkson and fourteen other men, among them John Martin, the son of Quaker parents, came down the Ohio River in canoes seeking lands to improve in what is now Kentucky. Opposite where Cincinnati now stands, they went up the main Licking River as far as the forks where Falmouth now is. Here they tarried a short time and were joined by the Miller Company and the two companies traveled together for awhile. Miller stopped at Miller's Branch. Hinkson continued on over the Buffalo Trace now known as the Hinkson Trace to the south fork of the Licking to what is now Lair, Kentucky, one of the most beautiful spots in Kentucky. Here they stopped and built a cabin for shelter while exploring. Creeks and branches were named after the men: Hinkson Creek, Stoner's Creek, Cooper's Run, Gray's Run and so on. Little cabins were erected on the claims by the men. Hinkson erecting one on Townsend Creek, Cooper on Hinkson Creek, Martin on Stoner Creek, 4 miles away -- where clearings were made.
In the fall of 1775, the Miller Company and seven of the Hinkson Company returned by way of the Ohio River to Pennsylvania, perhaps for needed supplies and some for families.
In the spring of 1776, Nearly all of the two companies returned. On May 3, 1776, a party of ten called "The Lyons Company" arrived at Hinkson Clearing and William Hoskin, at the suggestion of Colonel Hinkson conducted the party to some rich lands which had not been taken up - lands lying several miles to the east, probably on Hinkson Creek (Page 1446, Kentucky for Kentuckians by Johnson). Captain Hinkson's original fifteen cabins increased in number and a thriving community had developed about the station and around the Martin Station, but it was abandoned in July 1776, through fear of Indians, and nineteen of the settlers including Hinkson stopped at Boonesboro on way back to Virginia and all seemed deaf to anything said to dissuade them. Ten (at least) of them at Boonesboro went with them, which left only thirty men at Boonesboro (Page 327, Collin's History of Kentucky).
No sign of life at Hinkson settlement for three years. Then about 1779, Captain Isaac Ruddle arrived at the abandoned fort and established what is known as Ruddle's Fort (Page 14, Destruction of Ruddle's and Martin's Forts by Maude Ward Lafferty). Later settlers came in a stream down the Ohio and through the Cumberland Gap seeking land in Kentucky (Hinkson Station or Fort was on the north side of the south Licking, his land on the opposite side of the creek. Ruddle increased the size of the Fort, making it one of the largest and strongest in the Kentucky wilderness, capable of accommodations from 200 to 300 people. The garrison was composed of 49 men (see Page 14 Destruction of Ruddle's and Martin's Forts by Maude Ward Lafferty). The land owners near the Fort preempted land for miles around, farming during intervals of peace and taking refuge within the fort when the Indians were on the warpath (Page 15). Hinkson returned to his land on the south bank of the stream bringing his family with him.
The spring following the hard winter of 1779 was unusually fine and the inhabitants saw cattle grow fat on the luscious blue grass. And, the rich soil gave promise of bounteous crops Everywhere there was an atmosphere of peace and prosperity and general well-being. They went hopefully about their spring work with no premonition of the tragedy that awaited them. They were unaware that a formidable force was being collected at Detroit for the invasion of Kentucky (Page 15) by British, Canadians, Indians and Tories. The following account of the capture of Ruddle's and Martin's Station is the fullest and most accurate to be obtained: In the summers of 1780, a formidable military force consisting of 600 Indians and Canadians under command of Colonel Byrd, an officer of the British Army, accompanied by six pieces of artillery, made an invasion into Kentucky. The artillery was brought down the Big Miamie and then up the Licking as far as the present town of Falmouth at the forks of the Licking where with the stores and baggage, it was landed and where Colonel Byrd ordered some huts to be constructed to shelter them from the weather. From this point, Captain Byrd took up his line of march to Ruddle's station with 1000 men. Such a force accompanied by artillery was resistless to the stockades of Kentucky which were altogether destitute of ordinance. The approach of the enemy was totally undiscovered by our people until, on the 22nd of June, 1780, the report of one of the field pieces announced the arrival before the station, and had cleared a wagon road the greater part of the way. This station had been settled the previous year in the easterly bank of the south fork of the Licking River, three miles below the Junction of Hinkson and Stoner branches of the same stream. A summons to surrender at discretion to his Britannic majesty's arms was immediately made by Colonel Byrd, to which demand Captain or Colonel Ruddle answered that he could not consent to surrender, but on certain conditions; one of which was that the prisoners should be under protection of the British and not suffered to be prisoners of the Indians. To these terms Colonel Byrd consented, and immediately the gates were opened to him. No sooner where the gates opened, than the Indians rushed into the station, and each Indian seized the first person he could lay his hands on and claimed him as his prisoner. In this way, the members of every family were separated from each other, the husband from his wife, and the parents from their children. The piercing scream of children when torn from their mothers, the distressed throes of the mothers when forced from their tender offspring are indescribable. Ruddle remonstrated with the Colonel against this barbarous conduct of the Indians, but to no effect. He confessed it was out of his power to restrain them, their numbers being so much greater than that of his troops over which he had control, that he himself was completely in their power. After the people were entirely stripped of all their property and the prisoners divided among the captors, the Indians proposed to Colonel Byrd to march to and take Martin's Station, which was about 4 or 5 miles from Ruddle's Station, but Colonel Byrd was so affected by the conduct of the Indians to the prisoners taken, that he requested that they be entirely under his control and that the Indians should only be entitled to the plunder. Upon these propositions being agreed by the chiefs, the army marched to Martin's Station, and took it without opposition. The Indians divided the spoils among themselves, and Colonel Byrd took charge of the prisoners.
The ease with which these two stations were taken, so animated the Indians that they pressed Colonel Byrd to go forward to assist them to take Bryan's Station at Lexingtion. Byrd declined going, and waged as a reason that the improbability of success, and besides the impossibility of procuring provisions to support the prisoners they already had. Also, the impracticability of transporting their artillery by land, to any part of the Ohio River - therefore the necessity of descending Licking before the waters fell, which might be expected to take place in a very few days.
Immediately after it was decided not to go to Bryan's Station, the army commenced their retreat to the forks of the Licking, where they had left their boats, and with all possible dispatch get their artillery and military stores on board and moved off. At this place, the Indians separated from Byrd, and took with them the whole of the prisoners taken at Ruddle's Station. Among the prisoners was Captain John Hinkson, a brave man and an experienced woodsman. The second night after leaving the forks of the Licking, the Indians encamped near the river, everything was very wet, in consequence of which it was difficult to kindle a fire, and before the fire could be made, it was quite dark. A guard was placed over the prisoners. And, whilst part of them were employed in kindling the fire, Hinkson sprang from among them and was immediately out of sight. An alarm was instantly given, and the Indians ran in every direction, not being able to ascertain the course he had taken. Hinkson ran but a short distance before he ay down by the side of a log under the dark shadow of a large beech tree where he remained until the stir occasioned by his escape had subsided, then he moved off as silently as possible. The night was cloudy, and very dark, so that he had no mark to steer by, and after traveling some time toward Lexington, as he thought, he found himself close to the camp from which he had just before made his escape. In this dilemma he was obliged to tax his skill as a woodsman, to devise a method by which he should be enabled to steer his course without light enough to see the moss on the trees, or without the aid of the sun, moon or stars. Captain Hinkson ultimately adopted this method: he dipped his hand in the water (which almost covered the whole country) and holding it upwards above his head, he instantly felt one side of his hand cold, he immediately knew that from that point the wind came - he therefore steered the balance of night to the cold side of his hand, that being from the west he knew and the course best suited to his purpose. After traveling several hours, he sat down at the root of a tree and fell asleep. A few hours before day, there came a very heavy dense fog, so that a man could not be seen twenty yards distance. This circumstance was of infinite advantage to Hinkson, for as soon as daylight appeared, the howling of wolves, the gobbling of turkeys, the bleating of fawns, the cry of owls, and every other wild animal was heard in almost every direction. Hinkson was too well acquainted with the customs of the Indians, not to know that was Indians and not beasts and birds that made these sound, he therefore avoided approaching these places where he heard them, and not withstanding, he was several times within a few yards of them. With the aid of the fog, he escaped, and arrived safely at Lexington, and brought the first news of that event.
The Indians not only collected all the horses belonging to Ruddle's and Martin's Stations, but a great many from Bryan's Station and Lexington and with these their booty crossed the Ohio River near the mouth of the Licking and there dispersed.
The prisoners were held by the Indians for nearly fourteen years. It was only when Major General - Mad Anthony - Wayne defeated the Indians in 1792 at Maumee Rapids that they were freed. The prisoners suffered much as they were compelled to carry the booty from Ruddle's on their march to Ohio. Some of the prisoners were separated from their families, others were adopted by the Indians. Some now growing up returned when the treaty was signed, (Read Destruction of Ruddle's and Martin's Forts by Maude Ward Lafferty).
Capt. or Major Hinkson was in Lord Dunmores War and other battles.
Captain John Hinkson was married to Margaret McCracken – They had nine sons and daughters:

1. Benjamin

2. Robert, who married Polly Hinch on January 27, 1790 and their daughter married Richard Bibb

3. John, was single and went to Texas

4. Samuel, married Nancy Lyons and had several children and after her death he married Susan Lyons. His descendants prospered in Kentucky and in the city of Cynthianna, Kentucky are evidence of their prosperity. They had monuments and large tomb stones erected to their memory in the cemetery at Cynthianna.

5. Margaret

6. William, married Jane Harrison, Harrison County, Kentucky was named for her father, he was a noted man. William Hinkson settled for a while in what is now Perry County and in the early 1800 home-steaded land in Washington County, Missouri. The land was later owned by Noah Martin, a son-in-law

7. Nancy

8. Thomas, married Elizabeth Foss and were the parents of eleven children

9. Betsy
John Hinkson was noted in Kentucky and had much to do with its success, he died in 1789, and in 1790 his widow Margaret McCracken Hinkson married Humphrey Lyon.

The writer, aged and ill, is hoping that some younger person will take up the Captain Hinkson research and carry it on. Dates here and names will help to do further research. (Collin's History Vol. 2 of Kentucky, Kentucky for Kentuckians by Polk Johnson; Hauck's History of Missouri, and libraries are rich and inviting for research.)
By George A. Stuhlmann, August 1975


Jeffersonvile Land entries
Hingstons Fk Hingston, John 6-3-1780 400 acres bk A pg 124

" " Hingston, John 6-3-1780 400 acres bk A pg 124

" " Hingston, John 6-3-1780 400 acres bk A pg 124

Hingstons Fk Whaley, Wiliam 5-11-1780 295 acres bk A pg 43

Licking S Fk Hingston, John 6-24-1780 400 acres bk A pg 149


THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS, Volume 1, Part 1, CHAPTER II VIRGINIA GRANTS (1782-1792), THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY, page 63: (1) Grantee: Hinkson, John, Acres: 2,000, Book: 2, Page: 423; Date Survey: 4-10-1784; County: Fayette; Watercourse: Woods Run; (2) Grantee: Hinkson, John, Acres: 1,000, Book: 6, Page: 103; Date Survey: 1-25-1783; County: Fayette; Watercourse: None
THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS Volume 1 Part 1, CHAPTER II VIRGINIA GRANTS (1782-1792) THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY, page 64: (1) Grantee: Hinkson, John, Acres: 400, Book 6, Page 115; Date Survey: 1- 5-1783, County: Fayette, Watercourse: S Fk Licking; (2) Grantee: Hinkson, John, Acres: 1,000, Book 6, Page 572, Date Survey: 3- 1-1785, County: Fayette, Watercourse: Mill Cr.


Name: HINKSON, John


Location: Bourbon KY 56

Reference: Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots, Vol.2, p.—Serial: 11999; Volume: 8




Volume 1, Part 1, CHAPTER III OLD KENTUCKY GRANTS (1793-1856), THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY, page 188, Grantee: Hinkson, Jno, Heirs. Acres: 60. Book: 18, Page: 23. Date Survey: 2-24-1812. County: Bourbon. Watercourse: S Fk Licking

Volume 1, Part 1, CHAPTER III OLD KENTUCKY GRANTS (1793-1856), THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY, page 188, Grantee: Hinkson, Jno, Heirs. Acres: 87 1/2. Book: 18, Page: 331. Date Survey: 10- 6-1814. County: Bourbon. Watercourse: Townsend Cr


Subject: John Hinkson

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:47:36 -0500

From: Suzanne
In recent months I have been reading everything I can find in our libraries as well as on the www about John Hinkson. The reason I became interested in him is because my mother [Grace Piper] was a descendant of James Piper who received a pension for his service under Capt. John Hinkson.
His pension papers held a wealth of information including pages from 2 separate family Bibles giving me proof of the generations from James down to my mother. [I visited the branch of the National Archives in Kansas City and viewed and then copied these records from the microfilm.] When I realized what I had in my hands I "came undone" and my fellow researchers heard my little shout of joy !
But, I digress ! I commenced studying John Hinkson's life because I was interested in finding out more about the life of James Piper and since he served under Col. Hinkson [Capt. ??] perhaps in this manner I would be able to do so.
This is the problem. It appears from everything I have read on Col. Hinkson ... that the dates and places of his activities during certain periods don't line up with the timeline I find descrobed for James Piper !
Here is what I have abstracted from James Piper's records:
Timeline: [According to information given in his Pension Papers.]
1762—June 11th --James Piper was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
1779— A resident of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania when he enlisted in 1779.
Jan 1779—[Age 17 years] Went out in Captain Thomas Masons company as a substitute for Absolom Kent. Said company went out in the pursuit of the Indians upon the Conemaugh and Allegheny Rivers. Remained in service for a period of 3 months. The service performed by said company was protecting the frontiers of that country which was then much infested by the Indians. Joseph Huston was the lieutenant of said company. At the expiration of 3 months service received a discharge from Captain Mason. Not engaged in any battle during the period for which he served. Captain Mason’s company was raised by draught [draft], but was never attached to any battalion or regiment and never was commanded by any field officer or officers.
Apr 1779—[Age 17]Received the discharge and returned home and remained there until the latter part of the year 1779.
Oct-Nov 1779—[Age 17] [Last of October or first of November 1779] Volunteered his service in a company commanded by Captain John Hinkston which was raised for the purpose of guarding the frontiers of Westmoreland County and was to remain in service during the war or so long as a scouting party should be wanted for the protection of said frontier. The company remained for the period of three years, in service and under arms and engaged during all of that time in guarding and protecting the frontiers of said county from ____of the Indians who were during the whole time very troublesome. This was a company of volunteers raised and commanded by Captain John Hinkson who raised the company by order from one Col. Gibson of Pittsburg. He states that Captain Hinksons company was never attached to any regiment or battalion and was never commanded by any ______officers.
Summer of 1780—[Age 18]Battle with the Indians at Pendergraffs block house on White Pine Run in Westmoreland in which nine Indians were killed.
June 1781—[Age 19]Battle with the Indians upon Monticurss [?] Run in Westmoreland County in which five Indians were killed.
1781—[Age 19] Battle upon French Creek where fifteen Indians were killed and seventeen Indians were taken as prisoner. Destroyed a town belonging to the Delaware tribe of Indians on French Creek and about 40 miles from the mouth of said creek.
1781-1782—[Age 19-20]Engaged in guarding the frontiers. No other battles or engagements.
Sep 1782—[Age 20]Received his discharge.
Joseph Huston was the Lieutenant of said Captain Hinkstons company. The company was alternately stationed as necessity required at: Fort Legonier, Fort Pomery, Fort Kittania [Kittanning], Fort Wallace and Fort Barr.


Now, from everything I have read about John Hinkson....he was not in Pennsylvania from 1780 to 1782 the years when James Piper said he served under him. Is this correct ?
I will be most grateful for any comments and/or any light you are able to shed on my subject.
I thank you in advance for your response.
Warmest Regards,

They had the following children:

2 i. Robert (1765-1834)

3 ii. Margaret “Peggy” (~1770-)

4 iii. Thomas (1772-1824)

iv. John. Born circa 1773. John died in Bourbon County, Kentucky after 1850; he was 77. [1]

Referring to Col. John Hinkson's son John, I have transribed from The Index to Old War Inv. File No. 25568 N.W. Indian Wars 1792-1794 - from the National Archives as follows:

Copy of Affidavits for Pension

The affidavit of Garret Burns, taken at the house and before Littleton Robinson, one of the Justices of the Peace for the County of Harrison in the State of Kentucky.

This affiant being first duly sworn, saith, that in the campaign against the Indians under General Anthony Wayne in the year 1794. John Hinkson was one of the mounted volunteers from Kentucky in Col. Todd's Regiment and in Capt. Rawlings Company: That on the 20th day of August in said year, said Hinkson and this affiant were together in the Battle at the Miami Rapids: That he saw said Hinkson receive a wound in the front of the left shoulder with (as he supposes) a rifle ball which pentrated through the said Hinkson and came out behind through his shoulder blade: He then belived from the appearance of the wound that it was seriously dangerous, if not mortal, but Hinkson after the endurance of much and severe bodily pain, recovered: This affiant say that John Hinkson, who is now present, is the man who received the wound above spoken of in the battle at the Rapides and he further says that he has been acquainted with said Hinkson ever since said battle was fought and has often heard him complain of the pain occasioned by said wound especially on sudden transitions of the atmosphere from one state to another: He also believes that said wound has been of deep permanent injury and a considerable obstacle to the said Hinkson's concerns and that said Hinkson is a farmer: And further saith not.

Garret Burns

Also the affidavits of Humphrey Lyon and Thomas Ravenscroft, Senr. _________ same time and place:

These affiants state that they have lived near to John Hinkson the person alluded to in Garret Burn's Affidavit and have been well acquainted with him since Gen'l. Wayne's Campaign: That they have frequently heard said Hinkson complain of the wound received in his should at the Miami Rapids: And they believe that said wound has been of considerable prejudice to said Hinkson in his attention to his domestic business: And further saith not.

Humphrey Lyon Thoms. Ravonscroft, Senior

Also the affidavit of Thomas Ravenscroft Jr. taken at the same time and place:

This affiant states that he went out in the same company with John who is now present in the campaign of 1794 as far as Fort Greenville where this affiant was taken sick and went no farther. He further says that he has been a neighbor to and has been well acquainted with said Hinkson ever since said campaign that he saw him before he had recovered from the wound received in his shoulder at the Miami Rapids: And that he has often heard said Hinkson complaining of the pain and incovenience of said wound: He concurs with those who have deposed before him and is believing that the said Hinkson has been much injured in his attention to his domestic business by said wound.

Thomas Ravenscroft, Jr.

The affidavit of John Hinkson taken at the house of and before L. Robinson in the town of Cynthiana and the State of Kentucky. This affiant states thaat he is upwards of forty one years old: That he went out a volunteer in Capt. Rawlings Company of Mounted men in the Campaign of 1794 under Gen'l Wayne: That he was in the Battle of the Miami Rapids on the 20th of August 1794: That he received a wound in the left shoulder by a large ball which perforated his shoulder blade: That said wound was severe and afflicting: that he has been much prejudiced in his attention to his domestic concerns by reason of said wound: That said wound frequently gives him much pain at this time and that he is much disabled thereby: and further saith not.

John Hinkson

The foregoing affidavit of John Hinkson was taken before me L. Robinson of the commonwealth Justices of the Peace in and for the County of Harrison and State of Kentucky in the manner and at the time and place mentioned in the caption thereof. Given under my hand and seal this 20th of September 1816.

Debra Keller
On January 7, 1799 when John was 26, he first married Peggy WORL, in Harrison County, Kentucky. Born circa 1784.

Page 188 Sept. 2, 1823 Joseph Pugh's Heirs: Widow Elizabeth, George Pugh, William Chiles, Pugh Miller, heir of Betsy Pugh Miller; John Pugh, Joseph Pugh, Jonathan Pugh, Samuel Ewalt and Cynthia Ewalt; William Gustavius Pugh, Polly Pugh, Orval Pugh; and heirs of Nancy Pugh Chiles--Walter Chiles, Elizabeth Chiles, Thomas Chiles, John Chiles, Henry Chiles, William Chiles, Land on Townsend.

1823 Pugh's heirs to said Bell's heirs

This Indenture made this twenty second day of September one hundred and twenty three between Thomas P. Smith as a commissioner of the one part and William Bell, John Bell, Abraham Worl and Betsy his wife late Betsy Bell, Joseph Worl and Nancy his wife late, Nancy Beall heirs and legal representatives of Robert Bell deceased late of the county of Bourbon of the other part witnesseth that whereas in a suit in chancery in the Bourbon circuit court between the said heirs of Robert Bell Deceased complainants and the heirs and legal representitives of Joseph Pugh heirs, Elizabeth Pugh widow, George Pugh, William Chiles, Pugh Miller heir at law of Betsy Miller late Betsy Pugh John

Joseph and Jonathan Pugh Samuel Ewalt and Cynthia his wife late Cynthia Pugh, William Gustavus Polly and Orvil Pugh and Walter, Elizabeth, Thomas, John, Henry and William Chiles children and heirs at law of Named Chiles deceased late Nancy Pugh, descendents it was at the August term of the said court ordered and decreed that the defendents convey to the complaintants the one hundred acres of land in dispute in that suit by the males and bounds given in the report of the surveyor and are as follows: Beginning at A three sugar trees and a blue ash north corner in Townsends Settlement thence with said settlement line south forty five degrees East two hundred and seventy poles crossing Townsend at ninety four poles to B a stake in John Shawhan’s line thence with said line north forty five degrees east sixty five poles to C a stone corner to Joseph Pugh and thence with his line north forty six degrees west two hundred and seventy four poles crossing Townsend and pursuing an old line to line to D a black ash blue ash and buckeye anciently marked as corner

trees in Townsends old preemption line and thence with said line south forty two degrees west sixty three and a half poles to the beginning; containing one hundred and nine acres together with all and singular the apperterances. It was further ordered that the defendants ...... land by deed of bargain and sale warranting against themselves and those holding under them only on the tenth day of September and upon failure to do so that said Thomas P. Smith be commission to make it for them. And whereas the said Defendants have failed to execute said conveyance. Now the said Smith pursuant to and in compliance with the degree of aforesaid hath bargained and sold and by these present doth bargain and sale convey and confirm unto the said Heirs of said Bell here in

before named the said one hundred and nine acres of land with the appertenances. To have and to hold the said land to the said complainants their heirs and assigns forever - and the said Smith on the part of said Defendants doth bind them to warrant and forever defend the said land unto the

said Bells heirs their Heirs or assigns against the claim of the said Pugh heirs and those claiming or holding under them in witness whereof the said Smith hath here unto set his hand and seal the date first before written.

Thomas P. Smith (ss)

John B. Rain

H. M. Bledsoe

Bourbon Circuit Cst. April 27th 1824

The foregoing deed of conveyance from Thomas P. Smith as commissioner as for and on behalf the heirs of Joseph Pugh deceased to the heirs of Robert Bell deceased was this day acknowledged before me in my office by the said commission to be his act and deed whereupon the same is admitted to record.

Tho; Arnold clk

by R. S. Thomas dc

1824 Bourbon County Court Clerks Office Sct May 8th 1824

This deed of bargain and sale from Thomas P. Smith as a commissioner to the heirs of Robert Bell deceased was this day acknowledged before me by the said commissioner to be his act and deed and the same together with the certificate thereon endorsed is thereupon duly named in this office


I G Dickeson dclk


Well, I'm finally back on American soil. I'm in San Antonio at the moment and

will be in Dallas by the end of the week. I'll be able to start some research

at the library there.

I've been doing some research on the War of 1812 and found a brief deposition

by John Hinkson in regard to Robert Worrel's pension. I believe this is the

same Hinkson who married Peggy Worl or Worrel. Robert Worrel was probably the

brother to Peggy. I've been collecting pension records of Capt. William Ellis'

company from this war, a company that my ancestor Jonathan Sellers served in.

This company was at the Battle of River Raisin on January 18 and 22, 1813 at

Frenchtown, Michigan (then a territory). My ancestor was killed in the battle.

I'm not sure if John Hinkson was at the battle, but I do know his company was.

He served in Capt. Maurice Langhorne's company raised in Bourbon County in

August of 1812. It's possible that Hinkson escaped during the retreat as

Worrel did or he may have been detached with Harrison's command.

John Hinkson went on to serve in Capt. Thomas Ravenscraft's company which

participated in the Battle of Thames in the fall of 1813. This was a battle

which the Kentuckians sought revenge for the slaughter at the Raisin. It's

been said the battle cry of the troops was "Remember the Raisin," as they

defeated the British and killed the Indian chief Tecumseh.

There's a good book about this campaign entitled "Remember the Raisin," by G.

Glenn Clift. This book just came back into print recently. A majority of Capt.

Langhorne's company was either killed or captured during the battle. Also in

this company was James McCune, probably a son of William McCune, and Abraham

Ruddell who was captured and taken to Detroit. This is the same Abe Ruddell

who was taken in 1780 and son of Isaac Ruddell.

I have a book by Elias Darnell, a soldier in the campaign who makes mention of

Ruddell as being an Indian scout for Gen. Winchester's troops. This book also

mentions the incicdent involving Capt. Thomas Hinkson, though it doesn't

mention him by name, it is the same incident.

It's interesting to read the pension transfer request. It gives his reason for

moving to Indiana, probably the same reason most people removed to Indiana,

Missouri and other areas. Here's Worrel's pension application and a brief

account from the history of Orange County, Indiana:

Robert Worrel, The National Archives, “Old War” Invalid File No. 26527

We do certify that we have examined the feet of Robert Worl who was frost

bitten as he says upon the retreat of th River Raisin and upon examination

find that he has lost 7 joints off his feet and think him disabled sufficient

to draw his full pension given undr our hand this 9th day September 1816.

A. T. McMillan

G. W. Timberlake

We do certify that we have both been in the service of the United States as

surgeons. A. T. McMillan as surgeon to the 10th Regiment commanded by Col.

William E. Boswell under the command of Brigadier General Green Clay in 1813

and George W. Timberlake as surgeon to the 16th Regiment Kentucky Militia 1814

and 1815 commanded by Colonel Andrew Porter in the service of the United


A. T. McMillan

Surg 10 Rg K. M. D.

G. W. Timberlake

Surg 16 R. K. M.

I do certify that I lost the within named toes on the retreat of the River

Raisin by frost and it ever has disabled me since to the great prejudice of

procuring an ordinary livelihood this 9th September 1816.

Robert Worrel

I do certify that I saw the above Robert Worrel immediately after he arrived

at Carrion River where General Harrison retreated to and saw his feet when

part of the toes was taken off and acted as his nurse for several days. Given

under my hand this ninth day of September 1816.

John Hinkson

Personally appeared before me John Smith one of the justices of the peace for

Harrison County the within named surgeons with Robert Worrell and John Hinkson

and made oath to their several certificates. Given under my hand this 9th

September 1816.

John Smith J P H C

The River Raisin in the winter of 1812

Application for a transfer.

State of Indiana

Orange County SS:

On the first day of December 1825 before me Joseph Potts one of the acting

Justices of the Peace of the county aforesaid personally appeared Robert

Worrel who upon his solemn oath declares that he is the same person who

formerly belonged to the company commanded by Captain William Ellis in the

Regiment commanded by Colonel Allen in the service of the United States. That

his name was placed on the pension Roll of the State of kentucky from whence

he has removed. That he now resides in the State of Indiana where he intends

to remain and wishes his pension to be there payable in future. That he at

present receives eight dollars per month that he is poor and believed by

moving himself and family to the State of Indiana he should be enabled to make

himself and them more comfortable and to provide for his and their support as

produce is there to be had on better terms being more plenty than in the State

of Kentucky. And that his only reason for changing his residence was to try to

better his circumstances in life and procure a reasonable sustenance for

himself and helpless family.

Robert Worrel

Sworn and subscribed before me

The day and year aforesaid

Joseph Potts J.P.

History of Lawrence, Orange & Washington Counties Indiana, Goodspeed

Bros.1884, Page 640.

Robert Worrell was a soldier of the war with England of 1812, and at an

engagement on the River Raisin hid in a tree top from the Indians, and the

night being bitterly cold, had his feet so badly frozen that he lost all his

toes, and rendered him a cripple through life. This old hero immigrated to

Orange County with his family at a very early period, and settled on Lost

River, where he and wife died in the year 1830.

Jim Sellars

John second married Margaret ALLISON.

5 v. Elizabeth (-ca1790)

6 vi. William

vii. Benjamin. Benjamin died before 1794.

Benjamin married Elizabeth HARRISON, daughter of COL Benjamin HARRISON (1750-1808) & Mary NEWELL.

7 viii. Agnes “Nancy” (1778-1865)

8 ix. Samuel (-1837)
On March 25, 1790 Margaret second married Humphrey LYON, son of Samuel LYON (1706-1807) & Susan or Susanna, in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Born circa 1758. Humphrey died in Harrison County, Kentucky after April 29, 1829; he was 71.
Harrison County Will (Book and pages )
In the name of God Amen. I Humphrey Lyon of the County of Harrison and Commonwealth of Kentucky being weak of body but of a sound mind and memory, do constitute and ordain this my last Will and testament in the following manner as to my wordly Estate. I will that all my Debt be paid in the manner thereafter mentioned. First of all I bequeth to my loving wife Peggy my Plantation whereon I now live with all my personal property during her life and one family of Negroes in the manner hereafter, to wit: I bequeth to Humphrey Hinkson whom I have raised and adopted as a child my Plantation and all my personal property after the death of my wife he paying all my just debts & making(?) ___my grave & my wife’s & putting on a ____Tomb Stones. Next I dispose of my negroes in the following manner to wit, to serve my wife ten years from this date and the children hereafter married with their increase until they become twenty five years of age--my next will and desire is that my negro woman Jude shall be taken care of by Humphrey Hinkson. My negro man Dan to be free by paying two hundred dollars to be counted from this date. My negro woman Sal to serve ten years from this date and be free. My negro man Harry to serve ten years from this date and be free. My negro woman Mary to serve twelve years from this date & be free. I will that all my negroes not named above shall serve until they are twenty five years of age to be counted according to their ages hereby given by me. Any children born during their servitude shall go free with their mothers at the time of their mother’s liberation. I will four children, namely John thirteen years of age, Dash eleven, Jude six ____two years of age I give to my wife as above. I give to my adopted son Humphrey Hinkson Julia Ann(?) age six years & _______five years to serve him until they are twenty five years of age. All my _____not above named & as follows: Harvey age nine years, Fannie three years, Isarca one year, Hilliard three months with those held to my _____ ______she may not be living Shall be hired out by my Estates herein after named and the money arising from this there ______money that may be coming to me after the death of my wife I leave to Humphrey Hinkson after all debts being paid lastly.
I ordain this last will and Testament and Constitute and ordain Charles Lair and Humphrey Hinkson my sole Executors of this my last Will & Testament. Whereof I have thereunto Set my hand and seal this fourth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred & twenty nine.
Humphrey Lyon (seal)

William Thourton

James H. Fisher
Not having disposed of a tract of land of ____in Grant County in the above will, I do____and bequeth the said tract to Susan Hinkson, wife of Samuel Hinkson to dispose of as she may see proper. The land lies on Scaffold Lick Creek and _______occupied by Samuel Hinkson. My will and desire is that what property I have left to my wife she may dispose of after her death to whoever she may think proper will to be free at her death and the others according as directed in the above will as to the time of their freedom. Witness my hand and seal this 29th day of April one thousand eight hundred and twenty nine.
Humphrey Lyon (seal)


William Thornton

James H. Fisher

Harrison County May Court 1829

This last will and testament of Humphrey Lyon Dec.d was ordered in open court and proved by the oath of William Thornton one of the subscribing witnesses thereto & was ordered to be recorded.

The Descendants of Samuel Lyon [The Centurian]

Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, and Kentucky

By Barbara Lyon Harrison, 1988


BORN: 1706/07

DIED: 1807/08 in Georgetown, Beaver Co., PA

SPOUSE: 1. Name



DIED: 1790/1800

1. SAMUEL III 1819 in Greenup Co., KY.
2. JOHN Sept. 1807 in Bourbon County, Kentucky.
3. DANIEL d.1777 at Fort Logan, KY.
4. MENOAH d.1824 in Harrison Co., KY.
5. HEZEKIAH no dates known.
6. JACOB b.1760-d.1844 in Ohioville Township, Beaver Co. PA.
7. HUMPHREY d.1829 in Harrison Co., KY.
8. JONATHAN b.1774-d.1857 in Salem, Indiana.
9. ABRAHAM b.1775-d.1850 in Georgetown, Beaver Co., PA.
10. SARAH b.1782-d.after 1850 in Madison, Indiana.
11. NANCY b.1785-d.1871 in Liverpool Township, Columbiana Co., Ohio.



DIED: 10 June 1824 in Harrison County, KY



2. Mary Clarke, 8 Aug 1799, in Bourbon County, KY dau. of Robert and Agnes Clarke, Mary Clarke Lyon died before 1810. Robert Clarke owned land just south of the Lyon land and to the west of Paris, KY. By the ages of the children, in the 1810 census, this was probably Noah's second marriage.

3. Mrs. Hannah Daubenspike, widow of Philip Daubenspike of Harrison County, KY. She is not mentioned in the inventory of Noah’s possessions in 1824.

Noah's birth date is difficult to approximate. He apparently had a long life, like his father before him, and may have been married as many as three times. He is not listed on the Fayette County, PA, census of 1769, as are his father and four of his brothers -- Samuel III, John I, Jacob and Humphrey. In 1799 he married Mary Clarke, who may have been his second wife.
In the 1800 Kentucky census for Bourbon County, KY, the following Lyons are listed: Hezakiah, Humphrey, John I, and John II, Menoah and Samuel III.
Noah is mentioned as a son-in-law in Robert Clarke's will written in 1800 and proven in 1801. Mary is also named. In the 1810 census of Montgomery County, KY, Noah is listed with two males over 16, one male under 16, one girl 10-16, and three girls under 10.
No children, as such, are on the inventory of his estate, however, David Hinkson, Peggy Hinkson, Humphrey Hinkson and John Hinkson are on the sale of his estate. David, Peggy and John are probably children or grandchildren of Margaret Hinkson Lyon. Humphrey Hinkson was the adopted son of Noah's brother, Humphrey, and Margaret Hinkson Lyon. Humphrey Lyon acted as the administrator of Noah's estate.


B0RN: ca.l758 (my guess)

DIED: May 1829, will probated in Harrison County, KY

SPOUSE: Margaret "Peggy" McCrackin Hinkson, 12 March 1790 of Bourbon County, KY. Peggy Hinkson was the widow of John Hinkson.
CHILDREN: Adopted son, Humphrey Hinkson
The tax receipt for Fayette County, PA, lists Humphrey Lyon, in 1786, as a single man. He is listed with his father, Samuel II and his brother, Jacob. By 1790 he is on the Bourbon County, KY, tax list. In 1791 there is a transfer of land, in Bourbon County, by 'money sale' from Samuel III to Humphrey. It lists Humphrey with 134 acres at Hinkson's Fork. In the 1800 census he is still in Bourbon County. By 1810 he has moved to Harrison County and has a land deed transaction there. He and his wife are listed on the census as "over 45" with a boy under 10, who would have been Humphrey Hinkson.
In my original material, Mrs. Prowse's sheet of Lyon descent, it says that Humphrey was killed by Indians while on a trading expedition on the Mississippi River. I have a theory about this. Humphrey made out his will when he was about seventy-one years old (my guess on age), a bit old, in those days especially, to be going on trading expeditions. He says in his will that he is weak in body but sound in mind'. Most wills of that period have this phrase in them but if it didn't fit his condition would it be there? My theory is that whoever it was, in Mrs. Prowse's family line, who was looking back and trying to remember all the names and facts of the family group got Daniel, who is documented in George Rogers Clark's diary as being killed by Indians, and Humphrey confused.
In Allan W. Eckert's book THE CONQUERORS, he says: "in 1784 the settlers had named the blockhouse at Limestone, Hinkson's Fort and it was a welcome sight to water-weary travelers who had made the long journey from Pittsburgh. But it didn't last long. On June 22, a large party of warriors, led by a daring brave, stormed it and forced the settlers to flee and then burned it to the ground. None of the settlers were injured."
Margaret Hinkson Lyon's first husband, John Hinkson, was a well-known man in this part of Kentucky. In 1775 he brought "improvers" into Bourbon County. He was known as Captain Hinkson and had a company of 15 men from Westmoreland and adjoining counties of PA. He settled on a fork of the Licking River that becomes known as "Hinkson's Fork".
Tecumseh was one of the leaders of the attack.
In 1779 Hinkson was listed as being in Ruddell's Fort. In 1780 the British and Indians attacked that fort and murdered twenty persons residing there.
Margaret's son, Samuel Hinkson, married in 1809 Susannah Lyon, daughter of John Lyon, Humphrey Lyon's brother. Humphrey Hinkson, the son of Nancy Hinkson, born Nancy Wilson, was raised from a baby by Humphrey and Margaret and was made Humphrey's heir. Who his father was is not certain, but most probably he was a son of Margaret Hinkson. Evidently Humphrey and Margaret Lyon had no children of their own.
In his will, Humphrey bequeathed his 'plantation where I live', together with all his personal property, to his wife Peggy, for her life. He also leaves her his many slaves, named and unnamed. After Peggy's death, Humphrey then leaves everything to his adopted son, Humphrey Hinkson. A very complicated and definite plan is set up in the will for his slaves' period of work time and for their subsequent freedom. He leaves a tract of land in Grant County to Susan Hinkson, wife of Samuel Hinkson, Susan being the daughter of his brother, John.
It seems as though Humphrey was a very wealthy land owner for his time and place.
In the inventory of Noah Lyon's estate many Hinksons are listed who are probably children or grandchildren of Margaret Hinkson Lyon. David, Peggy and John, as well as Humphrey Hinkson, are on the sale list.
They had one child:

9 i. Humphrey (Adopted) (ca1805-)

Download 1.11 Mb.

Share with your friends:
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   ...   16

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page