Register Report First Generation

Download 440.54 Kb.
Size440.54 Kb.
  1   2   3   4   5   6

Register Report

First Generation


1. William ANDERSON. Born in 1753 in Virginia. William died in Missouri on May 10, 1830; he was 77.
The Andersons.-William Anderson, a Scotchman and colonel in the Revolutionary War, married a daughter of Colonel Hinkston, and came to Kentucky about the year 1784. His wife died, and he married Miss Miller. Eight children were born to them. One of their sons, John Miller Anderson, married the young widow of a Mr. Falconer, whose maiden name was Helena Pope. Helena Falconer had one child, Mary, when she married Mr. Anderson, who afterward became Mrs. Hoffman, of this town. The children of Helena and John M. Anderson were Hugh Miller and Pugh Miller-twin sons--Thomas William, Robert, A. Keller, Mrs. Robinson, Mrs. Thomas and Orra. Robert was killed while fighting bravely in the Confederate army at Chickamauga. A. Keller Anderson was captain in the same army; he is now brigadiergeneral in the standing army of Tennessee. June, 1892, he and his men were ordered to quell a riot in a miners' camp at Coal Creek. He built a block-house in eight of the Coal Creek camp, and in place of sending one of his men among the dangerous rioters he took a flag of truce and went himself. He did not return that night nor the next morning, and his men began to suspect that the miners had failed to respect the flag of truce, and that their general was perhaps murdered. They began to shell the camp, and General Anderson escaped just after his trial was ended and he had been sentenced to be hanged. The miners bad offered him his life and liberty if he would surrender his men and the block-house to them. On his refusal to comply they passed the death sentence. He inherited his courage from his mother, who was as brave a woman as ever lived, and as true a soldier of the cross as ever followed Christ. [1]
Pages 26, 27, 28, May, 1806--Deposition of Samuel VanHook to established land of Thos. Moore and Benj. Johnson on Mill Creek, entered 1780, conflicting with McFall’s claim, deposeth: Came back from being a prisoner in Spring of ‘79, settled at Ruddle’s Station, and in year ‘80 after Christmas moved to Martin’s station and taken prisoner in June following, and returned in four or five years. Wm. McCune deposeth: Saw land in question in company with John Hinkson while living at Ruddle’s Station in year 1780. Wm. Anderson became familiar with place in year 1785. Thos. Ravencroft saw same in year 1785. [2]
I am looking for the family of William Preston Anderson, my ggggrandfather who served in the Revol. War in Augusta Co. under Lt. John Hinkstons Ranger Co. They both moved to Harrison co. Ky. to get their land warrants. Wm. first married Johns daughter. She died and later married Eliz, Miller (my ggg) . Her dad was Hugh Miller from Greenville co. Va. Thanksfor any help. Art Anderson
Bob , We may be related. What a wealth of info. I have not been able to get Wm. P. Anderson located back in Va, Hope you can help. His and Eliz. Millers son John Miller A, is my gg. John had Hugh M, (my G) and Pugh M. a twin, also Robert (killed at Chicamauga) &, A. Keller who was a Capt in Civil War (Orphan Brigade) & stayed in military in Tenn. and became Gen. of Army of Tn. in 1890s. My Grandfather , Preston L. Anderson, followed his uncle to Tn. and I live in Mt. Juliet, Tn. What is your residence? Hugh also had Alonzo, Lena, Janie and Nettie . My father was Keller Miller A,I, had half-bro Keller M. Jr. ,his son is Keller M. I am 69 and oldest living A, in this clan. Many many thanks, Write, Art


Notes for Wiiliam Anderson:

William 05/17/1790 Bourbon Co KY

2000a Little Mountain Creek

grants 23/195

William 02/07/1785 Fayette Co KY

400a Hickmans Creek

grants N/602
William 12/02/1786 Fayette Co KY

1000a Hickmans Creek adj his own

Grants T/549
On May 27, 1783 when William was 30, he first married Elizabeth HINKSON, daughter of John HINKSON (ca1729-ca1789) & Margaret McCRACKEN, in Lincoln County, Kentucky. Born in Kentucky. Elizabeth died circa 1790.
They had the following children:

2 i. Sallie (1781-1860)

3 ii. Margaret (1784-1866)

iii. William.

The Will of Andrew Lair, probated April 10, 1826, is to be found in the Lincoln County records, Book of 1824-1829, Book 1, and is as follows:

"In the name of God Amen, I Andrew Lair of Lincoln County and state of Kentucky, being of a good memory and of a sound disposing mind, calling into mind the frailties of human life and the certainty of death, do make and constitute this my last will and testament revoking and disannulling all others in the manner and form as follows:

"Item first, I recommend my spirit to God who gave it in full hope of a happy immortality through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus and my body to the grave to be buryed under the direction of my executors untyl the morning of the resurrection.

"Item, I give and bequeath unto my son in law William Anderson the tract of land whereon I now live supposed to contain three hundred and thirty acres at ten dollars per acre making 3,000 three 300 Dollars, by his making the following payments towit.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son John Lair seven hundred and fifty two dollars to be paid by William Anderson and year after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son in law Thomas Pope three hundred and seventy six Dollars to be paid by William Anderson two years and six months after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son in law George Smiser three hundred and seventy six Dollars to be paid by William Anderson four years after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Catherine Stepp one hundred Dollars to be paid by William Anderson six years after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son William Lair one hundred Dollars to be paid by William Anderson six years after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son Hubbard Lair one hundred Dollars to be paid by William Anderson six years after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son James Lair ten dollars to be paid by William Anderson six years after my D.S.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son in law William Pope ten dollars to be paid by William Anderson six years after my dec.

"Item I give and bequeath unto my son in law William Anderson three hundred seventy six Dollars out of my land. It is also my will that my son in law William Anderson for his services in affection and attention unto me during several years in the latter part of my life that he shall have eleven hundred Dollars out of the value of the land.

"Item I appoint my son John Lair and my son in law William Anderson my executors to execute this my last will and testament.

"Given from under my hand this 7th day April in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and twenty five." [3]
William married Celia LAIR, daughter of Andrew LAIR (1750-1826) & Lady Frances HUBBARD (1752-1792). Born in 1786.
Notes on Celia Lair: [3]

Celia Lair, born in 1786, married William Anderson and had one daughter who married N. Carter of Dallas, Texas, It was Celia and her husband William Anderson who cared for Andrew Lair the last years of his life and to whom he willed his farm in Lincoln County.

iv. Ann.

Ann married SMITH.

v. Rebecca.

Rebecca married Jacob JONES, son of John JONES & Susannah.

In May 1795 when William was 42, he second married Elizabeth MILLER, daughter of Hugh MILLER & Margaret McCANDLESS, in Bourbon County, Kentucky. [4]
They had the following children:

4 i. Jane (1785-1868)

5 ii. John Miller (1795-1866)

iii. Hugh Miller.

Hugh Miller married Eliza NESBITT.

iv. Alexander.

v. Robert.

vi. Mary Ann “Polly”.

6 vii. Catherine “Kitty”

Second Generation


Family of William ANDERSON (1) & Elizabeth HINKSON

2. Sallie ANDERSON. Born in 1781. Sallie died in Lair, Harrison County, Kentucky on April 9, 1860; she was 79.
On August 20, 1801 when Sallie was 20, she married Charles LAIR, son of Capt. Matthias LAIR (1752-1795) & Anna Elizabeth RUSH (1754-1806), in Harrison County, Kentucky. Born in 1775 in Virginia. Charles died in Lair, Harrison County, Kentucky in 1860; he was 85.
Charles Lair, the oldest child of Matthias and Ann Elizabeth Rush Lair, born in Virginia in 1775, was a boy of sixteen when the family made the long and dangerous trek from their home in Virginia to their new home in Kentucky and no doubt was the principal assistant of his father and uncle. He lived to be 85 years of age, dying in 1860, and was well remembered by my mother, Helen Lair Ward, who described him as a large man, very handsome, with brilliant mind and known to her and the entire relationship as "Uncle Charlie" although he was a first cousin of her father's.
This remarkable man of vision was farmer, stockman, architect, scientist and above all, a great scholar. It was he who developed the land in the wilderness until it became a magnificent farm; who added to his livestock until he became known in all that section for his successful dealings; who built the famous barn in 1811 without a planing mill and without nails; who designed and built his beautiful house in 1812, "The Cedars," known throughout Kentucky as an architectural gem and admired by the best architects in this country for one hundred and forty-five years. His library, built up through the years, was a remarkable one, showing his unusual taste and his great breadth of knowledge.
Upon the death of his father, Matthias Jr., Charles shouldered the responsibility of his mother and the eight younger brothers and sisters, caring tenderly for them all. In 1801 he married Sallie Anderson and with the arrival of his own children, he found the double log cabin crowded and began making plans for the building of a magnificent house.
Started by Charles Lair in 1812 and completed in 1828, this house was built at a cost of $40,000, a tremendous sum for that day, and could not be built today for many times that amount. In 1930 the main part of this exquisite house was burned and today only the ell of the house and the old library wing are left standing. The porches, however, were saved and one can be seen on the ell where it is used by the present occupants. Also, if you dig about in the grass, you can plainly discern the foundation of the main section of the house. We have several pictures, two in this booklet, to show the perfect proportions of the house and to give one an idea of the grandeur of that house that Charles Lair built.
For one hundred and two years The Cedars was the center of gay social life for that section of Kentucky and a guest in those days would have found himself in a small yard after entering by the gate at the side and would have followed a wide brick walk to the main door. There were many brick walks in the yard, laid out in a symmetrical pattern, flower beds between and with a sundial in the middle of the yard. (The original sundial is in the possession of the family now and copies of it have been made.) The house had a perfectly proportioned portico at either end of the main hall, these two porticoes having graceful small pillars set high on iron standards which gave the pillars the look of being suspended as they were unattached at the top. The roof of the portico was curved, giving the whole an exceedingly light and graceful appearance. The doorway into the hall was duplicated at the other end and these doorways were fan-shaped with leaded panes of glass that had been brought in from Philadelphia. The hall was tremendous with the stairway, long and shallow of tread, up one side, across on a long landing then up a shorter flight to the floor above and the bedrooms. The floors were of wide ash, the woodwork carved and painted white, On the left of the hall was the parlor, a large room running the full depth of the house with ample space for the large pieces of mahogany furniture brought in from Philadelphia and New Orleans. Around the wall ran a molding of wood with sandwich glass knobs on which hung pictures at even distances apart. These pictures, well remembered by members of the family, were scenes of Germany and the Rhineland and hung on silk cords. Other pieces of furniture were made by cabinet makers in Maysville and Lexington of the native woods; curly sugartree, wild cherry and walnut. But the wonderful piece of furniture in the parlor was the piano, one of the earliest in Kentucky. This instrument was made in Maysville by two brothers who were cabinet makers and had learned the making of spinets and pianos in "the old country." Only two were made by these brothers, and Charles Lair was fortunate in being able to buy one of them. The piano was short, more the type of a spinet than a piano, was ornamented in front by a brass sunburst and was lined with sky-blue silk. The magnificent clock from this house is now in the home of a descendant.
From the parlor you went down several steps into what was called the "library porch," a small porch closed on the back but open on the side next the yard. Crossing this porch you entered the library, a beautiful room with windows front and back, a hand-carved mantel and with built-in bookcases, beautifully carved also with "butterfly shelves" for the many books Charles Lair had collected. He bought his books in Philadelphia and the larger cities in this country, often sending to London for one he especially desired. The most remarkable thing in the library was the ingenious way he provided for the study of his maps. On either side of the back windows, behind the shutters, were small grooves with heavy cords and when these were pulled and the door in the ceiling was opened, the maps descended into the room from a small attic above, thus permitting the student to carefully study the map on either side. After getting his information, Charles would pull his cords and the map would be drawn up to the room above and the door closed. There were several cords, each attached to a large map and this novel idea of Charles Lair permitted them to be studied without using too much space in the beautiful room.
At the end of the house, beyond the library, was a tool room and also a "saddle house" both used for the many things needed about the place.
On the right side of the hall as you entered the house was the "family room" which was a very large room running the depth of the house Back of it was the "girl's room" and across a porch was a large room known as the "boy's room." Beyond it was the loom room.
At right angles to the main part of the house and across this last porch was the "ell" with dining room, kitchen and a room back with attic above used as servant's quarters. The kitchen had a large stone open fireplace where the cooking was done and was equipped with cranes, cooking utensils of copper, etc. This ell was the first part of the house built by Charles and was occupied by the family during the years the handsome main part was being constructed.
Crossing the yard from the ell and standing where the sundial stood, one could study the beautiful lines of the house: the roof line and the dormer windows in the bedrooms above; the perfect proportion of the windows of the downstairs rooms and the bricks, painted white, which were laid in what is known as "Flemish bond" by the students of our early architecture. These bricks were hand-made by the slaves on the place and the perfection of their work made them among the finest examples in the state.
Just beyond the sundial was the spring house which was a small brick structure with conical roof and reached by several store steps. Within it was always cool, even on the hottest summer days, and as children we liked to go there and sit while we drank our milk from the crocks in the spring. This spring probably determined Matthias on the location of that double cabin of his when he first explored his land after arrival.
In 1811 Charles Lair built his barn, which is said to be the oldest log barn standing in Kentucky. Patterned after the "Switzer" barns built by the Germans in Pennsylvania and Virginia which were copied from those built in the Rhineland, this great old barn had the roof raised in one day by 500 men who came for a big barbecue dinner as the guests of Charles Lair. Sheep, pigs and chickens were roasted in pits and the preparations went on for days before hand. It stands on a hillside on a foundation of stone and has stalls for the livestock below where it is protected against the hill. On the upside there is a tremendous revolving door, 40 feet wide, that turns on a huge squared log serving as pivot. This door enables the wagons to drive in on one side, turn round and go out on the other side. Two bins were on either side built for grain.
At the beginning of the War of 1812, men in that section were mustered in at the barn. Charles Lair, standing in the great doorway, held a hat in which were placed slips of paper to be drawn by the men. A story in the family is that Charles drew a slip for service and his brother drew one that was blank. His brother said: "You have children and your family needs you. I will give you the blank slip and will take the one for service." The story related was that the brother was killed and that Charles grieved for the rest of his life, because his brother had sacrificed his life for him. Just which brother it was who so unselfishly gave his life in this manner has never been exactly clear but as Joseph died quite young, unmarried, and either in New Orleans or in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, it is believed it was he.
In 1845 Charles Lair decided to build a vault on the banks of the Licking River just below "The Cedars" and to place in it the bodies of the members of the family who were buried in a nearby graveyard. He secured the best workmen possible and had a large room or opening dynamited out of the solid limestone cliff. A story is that one of the workmen wee blown into the river below by a large charge of dynamite but escaped with only minor injuries. After the stone vault was completed, a door of iron was hung and placed above, a slab of marble on which are the words: "Please do not disturb the remains of the Sleeping Dead" and the date 1845. A ledge was left before the door with room enough for a procession of people to stand during a service. A small iron gate was placed between this ledge and the pathway that led to the vault from the house. After completion of the vault, Charles bought in Maysville several large iron coffins which were being used at that time in some of the cities. These coffins were to replace those in the graveyard that had decayed and in some instances, fallen apart. For the ceremony of moving the bodies from the graveyard to the vault on the banks of the river, he invited all the relatives and friends who lived nearby. Cousin Dink Smith, a granddaughter of Charles Lair, was a small girl at the time and accompanied by her mother went to the ceremony. She said: "Grandpa had a sense of the dramatic and he asked that all hold hands as each coffin was opened and the bodies moved to the new iron coffins. The first to be opened was that of his mother, Ann Elizabeth Rush Lair, and as Charles Lair lifted her up all saw the beautiful woman's face, her bright dress, golden brown hair bound with a brown velvet ribbon embroidered in gold leaves. As they all pressed forward to get a better look, whiff, She fell into dust." Cousin Dink related that the negroes moaned and wailed and she, getting the fright of her small life, ran under her mother's tilters, nearly upsetting that dignified lady.
As the iron coffins and such others as were in good condition were placed in the vault, the headstones used in the graveyard were placed at the head of each. After all the members of the family had been moved into the vault, Charles Lair gathered up the bones of the twenty forters who had been massacred at Ruddle's Fort and had them placed in two stone coffins and put in the vault. These bones are the only remains of the pioneer forters known to be in Kentucky preserved in this way and had it not been for Charles Lair and his thoughtfulness, they would have remained near the mule pen back of "The Cedars."
In 1909 Cousin Eliza Lair, a descendant of Charles Lair and with her sister, owner of "The Cedars" met me at the vault with undertakers, photographers, cement men, etc., and after bringing the iron coffins from the vault in order to take pictures of them, they were placed in rows in the vault and cemented in, so as not to be disturbed in the years to come. There they are today and where they should remain. The vault and surroundings should be kept in better order, as Charles Lair left money for that purpose, and the Lair Association should see that it is done well.
Charles Lair died in 1860, age 85, after a long and useful life, and was pieced in the vault he had built. He was indeed the Great Charles Lair.
The children of Charles Lair and his wife, Sallie Anderson Lair, are as follows:
Catherine and Betsey, died as infants;

Isaac Newton Lair married Lucretia Jamison;

Sallie Lair married William Redmon;

Martin Luther Lair married Nancy Williams, and built the Colonial house across the road;

Matthias Lair married Rowena Lair;

William Lair married Mary Elizabeth Lair;

Joseph Lair, unmarried;

Eliza Lair married George Redmon;

Cynthia Lair married John Redmon;

John Lair married (1) Emily Redmon, (2) Maria Varnon.

In explanation of the Lair-Lair marriages: Matthias Lair, son of Charles and grandson of the first Matthias in Kentucky, married Rowena Lair, the daughter of Matthias Lair and the granddaughter of the first John in Kentucky, Thus Matthias and Rowena were second cousins.
William Lair, son of Charles Lair, married Mary Elizabeth, the daughter of Matthias Lair. Charles Lair and Matthias were brothers and the sons of the first Matthias in Kentucky. Thus William and Mary Elizabeth Lair were first cousins.
They had the following children:

7 i. Isaac Newton (~1807->1893)

8 ii. Matthias (1813-)

9 iii. William (1816-1860)

iv. Joseph. Born on June 10, 1818. Joseph died in Lair, Harrison County, Kentucky on July 11, 1861; he was 43.

10 v. Elizabeth (1820-1847)

11 vi. Martin Luther (1817-1862)

vii. Cynthia. Born about 1823 in Harrison County, Kentucky. Cynthia died in Lair Family Vault, Harrison County, Kentucky on July 22, 1845; she was 22. [5]

On July 22, 1842 when Cynthia was 19, she married John REDMON, son of Charles REDMON (1779-1851) & Mary RYBOLT (1785-1856). Born in 1818 in Harrison County, Kentucky.
Notes for JOHN REDMON: Redmon Distilling Company is proprietor of Distillery No. 15, of the 6th District. It is located on Leesburg pike, a half mile from Cynthiana, on Gray's Run, and was built about 1859 by John Redmon. After passing through several hands, it was bought by the Redmon Distilling Company, in March 1880, when buildings were fully repaired and rebuilt, and new machinery put in. [Perrin, p. 228] (Tentatively attributed to this John Redmon)

Notes for CYNTHIA LAIR: Buried in the Lair Family Vault, Lair Station. "Cinthy, wife of John Redmon, died July 22, 1845, aged 22 years." [McAdams, Kentucky and Pioneer Court Records, p. 228]

Notes for John Redmon: [6]

1. 1850 Census for Harrison Co., Kentucky. Roll 203, page 61 - Jno Redmon-32, Elizabeth-21, Joseph-01.

Marriage Notes for Elizabeth Pugh and John Redmon:

1. Marriage Records, 1794-1893, Harrison County Clerk of the County Court. LDS Microfilm #0216877 - Bond #4040, John Redmon, Elizabeth Pugh, License 5/31/1848, Marriage 6/1/1848, Married by S.S. Deering.

12 viii. John (1825->1882)

ix. Catherine. Born in 1804.

x. Betsey. Born in 1806.

13 xi. Sally Ann (1809-1883)

Download 440.54 Kb.

Share with your friends:
  1   2   3   4   5   6

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page