Society of the Cincinnati
Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom
Articles of Confederation
Land Ordinance of 1785
Northwest Ordinance (1787)
New Jersey Plan
1. How does religion change/stay the same in the states after the American Revolution?
2. What challenges does slavery face after the American Revolution? In what ways do slaves and free blacks still face issues?
3. What was the role of women in the post-Revolution years? What is meant by republican motherhood?
4. What is significant about how Massachusetts drafts its constitution?
5. What things did the new state constitutions have in common? In what ways do we see the democratic nature of the new states?
6. What were the benefits and drawbacks of independence in terms of economics?
7. Why was the issue of Western lands so important in the ratification of the Articles of Confederation?
8. What parts of the Articles of Confederation made Congress so weak? What role do the executive and judicial branches have in the Articles of Confederation?
9. Why are the Land Ordinance of 1785 and the Northwest Ordinance (1787) both important to early American history?
10. In what ways to the British continue to antagonize the Americans after the American Revolution?
11. How do Spain and France treat the Americans after the Revolution? Use specific examples.
12. Describe the events of Shays’s Rebellion. How does this rebellion change how some Americans feel about the Articles of Confederation?
13. What major decision comes out of the Annapolis convention?
14. Why does Thomas Jefferson call the members of the convention at Philadelphia “demigods?”
15. What are the differences between the Virginia Plan and New Jersey Plan?
16. What are the different parts of the “Great Compromise?”
17. What other major compromises does the Constitutional Convention agree upon in 1787? (Find the other three major ones and explain them.)
18. What safeguards against the “excesses of the mob” did the Founding Fathers put in the Constitution?
19. What democratic elements can be found in the Constitution?
20. Describe the differences between the antifederalists and the federalists.
21. What major objections did the antifederalists have to the Constitution?
22. What promise to help ease antifederalist fears leads Massachusetts to ratify the Constitution?
23. What was the purpose of The Federalist papers?