Directions – After reading pp. 27-57, explain the significance of the following terms.
1. Anne Hutchinson -
2. Bacon’s Rebellion –
3. Dominion of New England –
4. Glorious Revolution –
5. The Calverts –
6. Jacob Leisler –
7. James Oglethorpe –
8. John Smith –
9. John Winthrop –
10. King Phillip’s War –
11. Massachusetts Bay Company –
12. Mayflower Compact –
13. Metacomet –
14. Middle Grounds –
15. Navigation Acts –
16. Pequot War –
17. Plymouth Plantation –
18. Powhatan –
19. Quakers –
20. Roger Williams –
21. Sir William Berkeley –
22. Theocracy –
23. Tobacco –
24. Virginia House of Burgesses –
25. William Bradford –
26. William Penn –
27. Maryland Toleration Act 1649 –
Directions: Read pages 27-57 and answer the following questions using many details and examples from the text.
1. What serious difficulties did the Virginia colonists face from the moment they landed?
2. Explain the importance of tobacco in the development of the Virginia colony.
3. Explain how exchanges of agricultural technology between Europeans and Native Americans helped Jamestown survive.
4. What led to Virginia becoming a royal colony?
5. What were the origins of the political turmoil in Virginia during the 1670s?
6. How was Bacon’s Rebellion related to the political unrest in Virginia, and what effect did the rebellion have on the development of that colony?
7. Describe the background of the Pilgrims and their motives for coming the America.
8. How did the Pilgrims’ experience with the Indians differ markedly from that of the settlers in Virginia?
9. How did the turbulent events in England generate interest in colonization among certain English Puritans? What did these Puritans hope to accomplish?
10. How did the charter of the Massachusetts Bay Company influence the colony’s first government?
11. What did the Puritans believe to be their purpose in coming to America (their “mission”), and how did church and state cooperate to achieve this goal?
12. How did the colony of Connecticut originate? Rhode Island? What does this expansion (“exodus”) reveal about the colony of Massachusetts Bay?
13. What was the controversy surrounding Anne Hutchison, and what does it reveal about Puritan religious and social beliefs?
14. What factors made relations between Indians and colonists in New England such a disaster for Native Americans?
15. What obstacles did the colonists have to overcome if they were to be successful in America?
16. How were the conflicts between natives and settlers affected by earlier exchanges in technology between the English and the tribes?
17. How did the Stuart Restoration affect those colonies already established in America? How did it affect attitudes about founding more settlements?
18. How did the existing Dutch settlements and institutions influence the development of New York?
31. Discuss the growing differences between colonial regions – especially between the northern and southern colonies and between colonists who lived on the East Coast and those who lived on the frontier. Why did such differences influence the political, social, and economic lives of those living in North America in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries? Are any of these differences still apparent in the United States in the early 21st century?
32. Although the British were late in settling colonies in North America, how did they become the dominant force there? Include an analysis of political, social and economic reasons.