A Flexible Framework
1. What is the main role of the Supreme Court?
2. Why are the Supreme Court’s decisions not necessarily permanent?
Equality and Segregation
3. What did the Fourteenth Amendment do?
4. What did Homer Plessy do that led to the famous court case, Plessy v. Ferguson?
5. How did the Supreme Court rule in the case of Plessy v. Ferguson?
6. What did “separate but equal” mean to the Supreme Court?
7. Why did Linda Brown’s parents take their school board to court?
8. Who represented the Browns in court?
9. What was the result of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka?
10. What was the intent of civil rights laws?
11. What was the purpose of affirmative action?
12. Why did Allan Bakke take the University of California to court?
13. What was the Supreme Court’s decision in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke?
Women and Equality
14. Why did Ida Phillips take Martin Marietta to court?