VNU University of Social Sciences
and Humanities in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City
(June 20 – July 25, 2011) PROGRAM DESCRIPTION In cooperation with the Center for International Education at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB), the Department of Asian and Asian American Studies will offer a short-term study abroad program in Vietnam. The objectives of the Summer Study Abroad Program in Vietnam are: (1) to provide CSULB students with affordable opportunities for international education; and (2) to enable participants to substantially improve their Vietnamese proficiency by being immersed in the Vietnamese language and culture for three weeks at two major national universities in Vietnam. We have made arrangements to hold this program in collaboration with the VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, from July 4 to July 25, 2011, and will send approximately twenty CSULB students who are at or above the intermediate level in Vietnamese proficiency, accompanied by Professor Chuc Van Bui. These students must have or will have completed VIET 111 and VIET 211 Accelerated Vietnamese, which are equivalent to two years of regular Vietnamese courses. This program is designed for those who speak Vietnamese fairly well, but need to improve their reading and writing skills, as well as enhance their understanding of Vietnamese culture.
Participants will enroll, with the instructor’s permission, in A/ST 490 Special Topics: Advanced Vietnamese (3 units) during a special summer session. They will begin coursework at CSULB during the first two weeks of a special summer term, and then go to Vietnam for a three-week Vietnamese immersion program at the University of Social Sciences and Humanities in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Students will take three hours of formal classes every morning and participate in cultural activities and field trips every afternoon, accompanied by Vietnamese faculty and students at these universities. Building language confidence is the focus of this program, and there is no better way to acquire functional linguistic skills than to interact on a daily basis with local university students. CSULB students will have the opportunity to discover Vietnam, substantially improve their Vietnamese proficiency, make life-long friends, and expand their horizons. All classes and activities will be held in Vietnamese. The participants will receive from CSULB three upper-division credits in Asian Studies. All students will live together under the supervision of Professor Chuc Van Bui at affordable hotels secured by the two universities. Since meals are very inexpensive in Vietnam, students can eat well for $10 a day.
ESTIMATED BUDGET The per-student summer program cost is itemized as follows:
1. Airfare to and from Vietnam $1,400
2. Program cost in Vietnam 500
3. CSULB Summer Session Tuition 825
Total Cost $2,325 * The estimated budget, based on 20 participants, does not include meals, personal spending money, optional field trips, or passport and visa fees, which may vary from person to person. The total cost may change slightly, depending on the total number of participants,
as well as circumstances in Vietnam beyond our control. Travel dates may also vary slightly based on airfare availability.
**Scholarship amount is subject to change without notice.
Completed applications should be submitted to the Department of Asian and Asian American Studies (FO3-340) by May 2, 2011. Questions? (562) 985-4645
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
Center for International Education & Department of Asian and Asian American Studies
SUMMER STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM APPLICATION
Submit your application by May 2, 2011 to the
Department of Asian and Asian American Studies (FO3-340 | 562-985-4645).
(Please use black ink) _______ I am applying to participate in the CSULB Summer Program in Vietnam.
Participants must enroll in Asian Studies 490 during the Summer Session (June 20 – July 25, 2011), and take classes for two weeks at CSULB and three weeks at the VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. 1. NAME: __________________________________________________________________
As listed on passport (Last) (First) (MI)
2. MAJOR:_______________________________ MINOR: __________________________
3. CUMULATIVE GPA: _______________ 4. CSULB ID # ________________________
5. CONTACT INFORMATION (Local address while attending CSULB)
10. COUNTRY OF CITIZENSHIP: ____________ PASSPORT # ______________________
11. CALIFORNIA RESIDENCE STATUS (Check One):
CA Resident __________ Non-Resident __________ F-1 Visa __________
12. LIST ALL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES ATTENDED:
Name of Institution
From /To (Mo/Yr)
13. CLASS LEVEL (Number of units completed before departure)
Senior (90 or more units) __________ (Mo/Yr) __________________
Graduate Level __________ Date WPE taken: ____________
14. LIST ALL VIETNAMESE LANGUAGE COURSES YOU HAVE TAKEN AND ARE CURRENTLY TAKING AT CSULB OR OTHER INSTITUTIONS:
15. HAVE YOU LIVED, TRAVELED or STUDIED ABROAD (including Mexico & Canada)?
If so, indicate where and when you were abroad, the purpose of your time abroad (i.e., visit friend, study, family vacation, personal holiday, etc.), and how long you were abroad.
Purpose/Length of Stay
16. INCLUDING COLLEGE-LEVEL COURSEWORK, DESCRIBE WHAT EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD WITH LANGUAGES OTHER THAN ENGLISH:
17. BEGINNING WITH YOUR MOST RECENT EMPLOYER, PLEASE LIST YOUR EMPLOYMENT HISTORY, including volunteer work.
Position/Type of Work
18. DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL, MEDICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL CONDITIONS, OR LEARNING DISABILITIES THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL SERVICES? NO _____ If YES, please explain:
19. ARE YOU CURRENTLY RECEIVING FINANCIAL AID? (circle one) NO YES
20. YOUR ESTIMATED COST TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROGRAM: $ 2,325.
* The estimated budget, based on 20 participants, does not include meals, personal spending money, optional field trips, or passport and visa fees, which may vary from person to person. The total cost may change slightly, depending on the total number of participants, as well as circumstances in Vietnam beyond our control. ESTIMATE YOUR RESOURCES FOR FINANCING THIS AMOUNT:
Personal Savings $ ________
Parental Support $ ________
Financial Aid $ ________
(Grants, Loans, etc.)
Other $ ________
TOTAL RESOURCES $ ________
(This figure should meet or exceed the estimated expenses figure.)
Please write an essay of 3 – 5 paragraphs (single-spaced) about how studying the Vietnamese language and culture in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City this summer will enrich your college experience and contribute to your educational, career, and personal goals. This essay is an important part of your application, so provide a thoughtful response. The essay should be no longer than one page and should be typed with your name and program clearly listed at the top of the page. Please sign your essay at the bottom of the page.
22. SIGN BELOW
I certify that the information given in this application is true and complete.
APPLICANT:Please complete top section.
1. Applicant’s Name: ________________________________________________________________________
Last First MI
2. Country/City of Exchange Program: __________________________________________________________
FACULTY MEMBER: Please complete this section.
1. How well do you know the applicant? (Check one)
Extensive contact as advisor or in small classes: □
Well acquainted in classroom environment: □
Limited contact in classroom: □
2. In comparison with other students whom you have known, please rate the applicant in these areas.
(Check the most appropriate response)
Unable to Judge
3. REMARKS: Based on your knowledge of the applicant, please comment on their ability to participate in and profit from an overseas CSULB Direct Exchange study abroad experience. You may use the space below or attach your own letter. (Comments required)
Department: _________________________ E-mail: ______________________________________
Telephone: __________________________ Date: ________________________________________
Please return this form to the student in a sealed envelope or mail directly to:
Department of Asian and Asian American Studies (FO3-340)
California State University, Long Beach 1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840-1002 Thanks for your assistance! Any questions, please call: Phone: (562) 985-4645