five when his father died. In the beginning, he was too young to rule, so his mother helped him. Then at age 17, Louis ruled the country alone. He was king for 72 years. France became a powerful country with Louis as king. But Louis lived a life of luxury, which made people angry.
rule powerful luxury palace fountains appetite tip 1. Louis XIV built a very large house called Versailles. It was a beautiful ____________.
2. A king’s job is to ____________ his country.
3. When Louis XIV was king, his country was very important. It was a
4. Louis liked to have very expensive things. These things were not necessary.
5. Louis always ate big dinners. He had a good_____________.
6. In a park, water often comes out of_____________.
7. The end of your nose is the _____________of it.
Circle the letter of the correct answer.
1. Louis XIV was a famous king because _______________.
a. he ate a lot b. he washed only his nose c. he built the palace of Versailles.
2. Louis XIV loved_____________.
a. beautiful beds b. a life of luxury c. Baths
3. Louis XIV ruled_____________.
a. for a long time b. in England c. 36,000 people
Reread the passage and answer the questions.
1. How long was Louis XIV king?
2. How old was Louis XIV when he ruled the country alone?
3. What was the name of Louis’s palace?
4. How many fountains were there in the gardens of the palace?
5. What part of his body did Louis wash?
6. In the palace, who sat on chairs with arms?
Match the words in Column A and Column B to make sentences.