APWH – Spring 2015 Directions: Design a folder portfolio of your knowledge from Unit Four by following the directions below. This should be work that is original and show your depth of knowledge concerning Unit Four. This is an individual project and no information or sections should be completed with others. Grade will be based on the following criteria:
Followed directions for all four sections
Neatness and creativity
Depth of knowledge
(1) Outside Cover Illustrate activities, evidence of understanding of important events, places and people that make this period unique to others.
(2) Inside left cover answer the period questions: (page 2)
I would prefer this to be typed and stapled to inside cover.
(3) Inside right cover...utilize the five themes to discuss the events in the time period.A graphic organizer would be a good choice for this section.
1. Interaction between humans and the environment (demography and disease, migration, patterns of settlement, technology);
2. Development and interaction of cultures (religions, belief systems, philosophies and ideologies, science and technology, the arts and architecture);
3. State-building, expansion, and conflict (political structures and forms of governance, empires, nations and nationalism, revolts and revolution, regional, trans-regional, and global structures and organizations);
4. Creation, expansion, and interaction of economic systems (agricultural and pastoral production, trade and commerce, labor systems, industrialization, capitalism and socialism);
5. Development and transformation of social structures (gender roles and relations, family and kinship, racial and ethnic constructions);
(4) Outside rear cover....Timeline illustrates the period. This will be due on Test Day! (2/10 [A] or 11 [B]) Period 4: Global Interactions, c. 1450 to c. 1750
Key Concept 4.1 Globalizing Networks of Communication and Exchange
Describe the degree of global ‘interconnection’ after 1500 CE compared to before 1500.
What were the overall effects of this change in global interconnectedness?
How did the global trade network after 1500 CE affect the pre-existing regional trade networks? (Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, trans-Saharan, Silk Routes)
What technical developments made transoceanic European travel & trade possible?
Where did those developments originate?
What were the major notable transoceanic voyages between 1450-1750 CE?
Where did Zheng He and the Chinese Treasure Fleets travel?
Why did Portugal begin longer maritime voyages ca. 1430 CE?
What effect did Columbus’ travels have on Europeans?
What originally motivated Europeans to travel across the northern Atlantic?
How did the new global connections affect the peoples of Oceania and Polynesia? What new financial and monetary means made new scale(s) of trade possible? What previously established scale(s) of trade continued?
Describe European merchants overall trade role c. 1450-1750.
What role did silver play in facilitating a truly global scale of trade?
What new mercantilist financial means developed to facilitate global trade?
What were the economic and social effects of the Atlantic trading system?
What were effects of the Columbian Exchange?
What were unintentional biological effects of the Columbian Exchange?
What foods were transferred to new geographic regions as part of the Columbian Exchange, and what were labor systems made this transfer possible?
What plants/animals were deliberately transferred across the Atlantic as part of the Columbian Exchange?
What effects did American food crops have on the diet of Afro-Eurasians?
How did settlers’ action affect the Americas environmentally?
How did the Columbian Exchange affect the spread of religions?