1. Although the origins of the 1918 influenza pandemic are a mystery, scientists have a theory of how it started. What is this theory? Do you think it is plausible? How can we know for sure?
2. The flu pandemic and World War I were concurrent. How did the war contribute to the spread of the pandemic (an outbreak of a disease that affects a large group, whole country, or the world)?
3. What steps did the United States government take to stop the spread of the infection and to help relieve some of the suffering?
4. One of the scientists interviewed compared flu viruses to chameleons. What did he mean by this comparison?
5. How did people who contracted the virus die? Why did some people die while others survived?
6. Why were immigrants particularly susceptible to the virus?
7. The city of Philadelphia was hit particularly hard during the pandemic. Why?
8. The toll of the flu was not only in lives. What were some of the economic consequences of the pandemic?
9. How has modern technology helped to unravel the mystery of the 1918 pandemic?
Share with your friends: