Nautical words

Bulgeway. Bilgeway. Bulk 59 Bunder Boat

Download 2.28 Mb.
Size2.28 Mb.
1   ...   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   ...   963
Bulgeway. Bilgeway.

Bulk 59 Bunder Boat

Bulk.* Old name for hull of a ship. 'Bulkhead' is a reminder.

Bulk Cargo. Cargo such as grain, coal, iron ore, etc., that is loaded in bulk and not in packages or containers.

Bulkhead. Transverse, or fore and aft, vertical partition in a vessel to divide interior into compartments. Not necessarily water­tight. Increases rigidity of structure, localises effects of fire and, when watertight, localises inflow of water.

Bulk Oil. Oil cargo when carried in tanks instead of casks, drums, etc.

Boll Bars. Galvanised iron bars between beams of holds in ships carrying carcases of meat.

Bull Dog Grip. U-shaped steel of circular section with a movable bridge that forms a clamp. Two wires being inside U, and clamp screwed up, the wires are incapable of independent movement.

Bulling. Putting water into empty cask or barrel to prevent it drying and becoming leaky. Colloquially used to signify diluting.

Download 2.28 Mb.

Share with your friends:
1   ...   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   ...   963

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page