Unit 1 part 1,2,3, Beginnings to 1750 & Unit 2 part 1,2,3, A Nation is Born 1750
Literature Book =Timeless Voices, Timeless Themes: The American Experience .
Make certain that you have read each of the works. Stay current with reading and taking notes. Fill out all study
guides. Check the questions at the end of the selections as well as the study guides. Thoroughly review your notes and
the text. Study the theme, central idea, characters, and main points of each selection. Also know the authors and their
contributions. Don't wait until the last minute to review. Come in for help if necessary before the day of the test.
Questions will be asked about only the authors marked with an asterisk *. The page numbers are marked for the
beginning of each selection.
Timeline and Story of the Times, (Beginnings-1750): 2 &3 by Editors
2.“Earth on Turtle’s Back” 22
3. "When Grizzlies Walked Upright": a myth by Modoc 24
from "The Navajo Origin Legend" a legend by the Navajo: 26
“Interesting Life…” 44
6. "Diamond Island: Alcatraz" nonfiction by Daryl Babe Wilson 51
7. "Big Yellow Taxi" song by Joni Mitchell 56
8. from "The General History of Virginia" nonfiction by * John Smith 66
9. from: Of Plymouth Plantation nonfiction by *William Bradford: 71
'To My Dear and Loving Husband" poem by *Anne Bradstreet: 90
12. from "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God: speech by *Jonathan Edwards; 96
13. "A Nation is Born" Timeline and Story of the Times (1750-1800): 116-119 by Editors
14. from Poor Richard's Almanack -nonfiction by *Benjamin Franklin 188-189
15. from "The Crisis: Number 1"-nonfiction by *Thomas Paine: 144
16. from "Letter from Birmingham City Jail" nonfiction by *Martin Luther King, Jr. 157
17. "Speech in the Virginia Convention" speech by *Patrick Henry: 168
18. "Inaugural Address" John F. Kennedy 177
19. Wheatley poems: poetry by Phillis Wheatley: 148-151
20. from Roots: Nonfiction by Alex Haley 208
Review Questions in addition to your notes from class and the questions at the end of each selection:
1. Explain why the word "Beginnings" is an appropriate title for this unit.
2. Where was the first permanent settlement established in America?
3. Where was the first English settlement established in America?
4. What made it possible for Massachusetts to advance education and establish free education? (see timeline for hints)
5. Compare the creation myth of the Modoc myth with the Navajo myth. Who creates the earth in each myth?
6. In the eyes of the Modoc Sky Spirit, what was the true crime of the grizzly bears?
7. What did the settlers gain from the Native Americans? What have we gained from the Puritans?
. 8. What conditions from Jonathan Edwards background may have inspired him to become a "fire and brimstone" preacher? Why didn't the Great Awakening last?
9. What are some of the images in Edwards' description of hell?
Which of the works that we studied are first-hand observations of the events (nonfiction)?
12. What is the thematic connection between "Letter from Birmingham City Jail" and from "The Crisis Number 1"?
13. What is the thematic connection between "Diamond Island: Alcatraz" and "Big Yellow Taxi"?
14. What does "The American Dream" mean? Which of the works from this unit aptly describe this concept? Why?
15. What were some of the actions that Americans took to show that they were serious with Britain?
16. What was the first book published? First bestseller?
17. What are the characteristics of Ben Franklin's aphorisms?
18. Explain the significance of Thomas Paine's famous lines: “These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
19. How does Patrick Henry answer the cry that the colonists are not ready to fight?
20. What is Patrick Henry's most memorable line? What is the significance?
Sample author and selection questions:
author of "The Crisis"
known for "passive resistance"
wrote pamphlet "Common Sense"
most literate early historian
wrote about Pocahontas episode