Directions: Please read the directions for each section carefully. Read the questions thoroughly. Take your time answering the questions. When you have completed the exam, put your pencil/pen down; turn the exam over; and sit silently at your desk. Good luck!
MULTIPLE CHOICE. The following are questions pertaining to the Greek gods and goddesses reviewed this quarter. Circle the best answer for the question.
(1 point each)
Who is Apollo’s twin?
Who are Cronus’ children?
A. Jesus, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
B. Hades, Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Demeter, and Hestia
C. Joseph, John, Edward, and Theodore
D. Odysseus, Perseus, Medusa, and Orpheus
Who is the mother of Poseidon?
4. Who is the father of Hephaestus?
A. His father is Cronus.
B. His father is Apollo.
C. His father is Poseidon.
D. He has no father.
5. The half-siblings of Hermes who are gods and goddesses are the following:
A. John, Paul, Ringo, and George.
B. Apollo, Artemis, Dionysus, Athena, and Ares.
Perseus, Hercules, Odysseus, and Helena.
Eurydice, the Spirit Wife, Penelope, and the Cyclops.
6. Who were Demeter’s goddess sisters?
A. Hestia and Hera.
B. The Spirit Wife and Eurydice.
C. Penelope and Helena.
D. Zeus and Hades.
7. Who was Artemis’ twin?
As previously stated, Artemis has a twin. What amazing thing did she do after she was born?
Artemis killed the goddess, Hera.
Artemis assisted in the delivery of her twin brother.
Artemis did not want a twin so she swallowed him whole.
Artemis ran away from her mother and her twin.
What do Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Hestia, and Hera have in common?
They are humans with super powers.
They are from the planet Krypton.
They were sentenced to spend the remainder of their days in the Underworld.
They were Zeus’ siblings who were swallowed whole by their father, Cronus.
10. Who are Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Hestia, and Hera’s mother?
11. A jealous Hera chased Leto all over the earth. Where was she finally able to give birth to the twin god and goddess?
A. A floating island called, Delos.
B At the base of a bodhisattva tree.
C. In a stable and placed in a manger.
D. At the hospital.
12. Hermes was a precocious baby. One of the things he did shortly after he was born was
A. Build a small castle.
B. Swallow his father, Zeus, whole.
C. Run away from his sleeping mother, kill Apollo’s sacred cows, and invent the first lyre.
D. Hold an illegal bingo tournament on Mt. Olympus with the other gods and goddesses.
13. Cronus swallowed most of his children. How were they finally rescued from his belly?
They climbed up his esophagus and forced Cronus to open his mouth.
B. Zeus secretly put a potion in Cronus’ food, which forced him to vomit them up.
C. Cronus swallowed a magical bean that grew into a giant bean stalk, which they climbed to
D. Zeus never rescued them. He wanted all the power for himself so he secretly fed Cronus
poison that quickly killed all of them.
Poseidon is the god of
A. The oceans, seas, and natural disasters like earthquakes.
FILL IN THE BLANKS using the literary terms below. (1 point each)
Myth Internal Conflict External Conflict Epic Epic Hero
62. ________________: A long narrative poem that tells the great deeds of a hero.
Ex: The Odyssey
63. ________________: Traditional stories that usually explain a belief or a natural phenomenon.
64. ________________: The main character of an epic.
65. ________________: A character’s struggle against an outside force.
Ex. Joker vs. Batman
66. ________________: A struggle between opposing needs, desires or emotions within a person.
Ex: Junior’s feelings of financial inadequacy before, during and after the dance.
NOUNS, VERBS, and ADJECTIVES
Circle the nouns, underline the verbs, and put an X on the adjectives in the following sentence.
(1 point each noun and verb)
67. In the Colorado River, there lives a poisonous toad that releases a poison that can paralyze its predators temporarily.
Capitalization, Commas, and End Punctuation
Capitalize and punctuate the following sentence (1 point each correct capitalization and punctuation)
68. why is Melissa hasselbeck yelling at whoopi Goldberg Meredith viera and elvis presley
Read the attached article. Answer the reading comprehension questions at the end (numbers 97-102). (1 point each)