(b) counting enslaved persons (d) federal land grants
____b___ 34. The Constitution said that Congress could notoutlaw the slave trade for
(a) 10 years (c) 30 years
(b) 20 years (d) 40 years ____c___ 35. The Constitution had to be ratified by
(a) five states (c) nine states
(b) seven states (d) eleven states ____d___ 36. John Locke believed that people had a natural right to life, liberty, and
(a) health care (c) education
(b) housing (d) property ____b___ 37. Baron de Montesquieu thought that the power of government should be limited by
(a) state governments (c) the courts
(b) the separation of powers (d) state militias ____c___ 38. The power to declare war belongs to the
(a) President (c) Congress
(b) Supreme Court (d) secretary of defense ____a___ 39. Both the federal govt. and state govts. have the power to
(a) tax (c) create money
(b) declare war (d) make treaties ____d___ 40. The first 10 amendments to the Constitution are known as
(a) the Added Amendments (c) the Federalist
(b) the Citizenship Handbook (d) the Bill of Rights * Essay Portion
- Be prepared to answer the following essay/open-response questions: - compare/contrast the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution
- the weaknesses of the Articles of confederation
- the Virginia Plan vs. the New Jersey Plan
- how we elect a president: term, electoral votes, etc.
- federalists vs. anti-federalists
- explain why many Americans were afraid of a strong central govt.
Note: Blue equals a few they may have a little trouble with, so you may assist with this.