By Edgar Allen Poe
1. Author – List three facts about the author
Building Vocabulary – Write the definition and part of speech for the following words:
2. August –
3. Piquancy –
4. Arabesque –
5. Cessation –
6. Disapprobation –
7. Habiliments –
Complete Sentences with all of the following:
Build Grammar Skills
8. What is subject-verb agreement?
9. What three items would you bring if you were going to lock yourself away in a mansion for the rest of your life?
10. What was the Black Death, and how is it related to the Red Death?
12. What is a context clue?
13. Whom does Prospero invite to his abbey?
14. What does the color black symbolize in this story? What does the ebony clock remind or symbolize to the partygoer
15. How do the people at the masque feel before the Red Death arrives?
16. What is the theme, or central message, of “The Masque of the Red Death”?
17. The people at the party are so lovely and exquisite in their rich clothing/costumes that Poe calls the costumes what?
18. Why does Prospero complain about the masked stranger? What does he thinks he looks