Maritime Museum Emergency and Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Manual

Download 392.64 Kb.
Size392.64 Kb.
1   ...   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   ...   104
5. Document sources of income such as admissions, grants, museum store proceeds, etc. with monthly receipt logs, documented daily attendance figures and admission fees, records of fundraising activities, rental revenue, copies of contracts, agreements with vendors and suppliers, etc.
6. Review your insurance coverage annually with your agent to determine:
3 Whether you have adequate coverage.

3 What is covered and what is not (e.g., collections, ships, all or only some buildings, landscaping, etc.).

3 What types of emergencies or disasters are covered.

3 What records are needed to file a claim. You should have copies of any essential records in an off‑site location.

3 What documents are required to determine pre‑disaster condition and estimated cost of restoration.

3 What their rules are for moving collections or for emergency recovery of damaged collections. Does their adjuster have to be informed or see the damage before any action can be taken? Can you get a waiver in writing if necessary?

3 What the normal procedure is for settling a claim after a disaster occurs. Will there be on‑site inspections? How soon will the adjusters appear on the scene?

3 How long it will take to settle a claim. Dont make the mistake of accepting full payment on a claim too soon. There may be costs that extend into the future and which may be recoverable.

3 Who makes the decision whether to restore or replace.

3 How much time is allowed to file a claim.

3 Whether additional coverage is needed for loss of income, liability, exposure, workers compensation, and trustees' and officers' liability.

Keep in mind that FEMA and SBA (Small Business Administration) operate as insurers of last resort, and may pay for damages above and beyond those covered by private insurance. FEMA provides assistance in the form of grants to nonprofit organizations for stabilization, repair, rehabilitation, and collection conservation, but only if you have a photograph of the object before and after the damage occurred. SBA may give aid in the form of loans up to $500,000. Both FEMA and SBA only cover damages above those underwritten by private insurance. The National Trust for Historic Preservation provides funds of up to $5,000 through its President's Discretionary Fund for Disaster Relief. These funds are available to governments and nonprofit organizations for professional assistance in planning rehabilitation of historic structures and ships.

Share with your friends:
1   ...   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   ...   104

The database is protected by copyright © 2020
send message

    Main page