PUPE STREAM 2 WORKSHEET NO: 5 KEY OCTOBER 23, 2012
TASK 1: Complete with the Past Simple or the Past Progressive of the verbs in brackets.
Jill (1) WAS WALKING through the forest last night. It (2) WAS dark and it (3) WAS RAINING. Suddenly, she (4) HEARD a noise. She (5) WAS frightened and started running. As she (6) WAS RUNNING, she (7) SAW a man running after her. She (8) HID behind a tree and while she (9) WAS WAITING for the man to go away, she (10) FELL asleep. When she (11) WOKE UP she was in her bed but she (12) WAS WEARING her clothes. Strange, eh?
TASK 2: Complete the text with the full infinitive, bare infinitive, or the –ing form of the verbs in brackets. M
(3) WORK long hours. So, one day he decided (4) TO START his own business, his own restaurant. At first, he wanted
(5) TO WORK together with his brother, but Adam wasn’t interested in (6) TRYING anything like that. Daniel didn’t have a lot of money, so he had to avoid (7) FINDING a very expensive place. After about two weeks, he found the perfect place. He called his friend Betty (8) TO ASK her to help him choose the right tables and chairs. He wanted everything to be perfect. Now, after almost a year, he is happy (9) TO SAY that his business is very successful and he is thinking of (10) OPENING a second restaurant soon.
TASK 1: Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in the box.
I try to AVOID going shopping on Saturdays.
I WOULD LIKE to see a good movie at the weekend.
A/an FENCE is a structure which divides two areas of land, similar to a wall but made of wood or wire and supported with posts
They finally REACHEDthe coast after five weeks sailing.
I learned toRIDE a bike when I was six.
I FALL ASLEEP as soon as my head hits the pillow.
The island is too far. You need a pair of BINOCULARS to see it.
5. I am going to Easter Island. I think it is going to be the journey of my DREAMS.
TASK 1: Read the paragraphs and choose the best ending for each one. (1.5 point each)
1. Potatoes are usually very good to eat. But they're not good when they're green. If you find a green potato, you should not eat it. Green potatoes can make you…
a. sick. b. better. c. well. d. afraid.
2. Selma is from İstanbul. Now she lives in Toronto. She's a writer. She writes books for children. She isn't rich, but she's happy. She likes her work, and she…
a. likes Istanbul. c. doesn't like Istanbul.
b. doesn't like Toronto. d. likes Toronto.
3. Today, many young women don’t know how to cook. They didn't learn from their mothers. Now they buy food that is ready to eat. Or they go…
a. to the supermarket. c. out to the movies.
b. out to restaurants. d. to work early.
4. Michelle and Micol are twin sisters. They look the same, but they are very different. Michelle is very quiet but Micol likes to talk. Michelle is afraid of new people, but Micol likes…
a. staying alone. c. meeting new people.
b. reading books. d. playing with her sister.
5. Many young girls like dancing and go to dance classes. They want to be dancers. They think dancers are beautiful, and they think dancing is fun. But a dancer's life is not always beautiful and fun. They often have…
a. an easy life. c. a lot of money.
b. beautiful legs. d. many problems.
6. The bus to work is often very slow. There's a lot of traffic in the morning, and the bus has to stop often. When there's traffic, cars are slow, too. But bicycles are not. On a bicycle you can go around and through the traffic. Why don't you go to work by…
a. bicycle? b. train? c. car? d. bus?
7. Some people like to eat too many sweets. Their favorite foods are sweets. They eat lots of ice cream, cake, and cookies. They don't eat much fruit or vegetables. These people are often fat and unhealthy. Sometimes they get very sick. Sweets are not…
a. bad for people. c. new for people.
b. good for people. d. expensive for people.
8. The manager at work is angry with me. She says I'm always late. She says I have to be in the office before 9:00 a.m. I can't come at 9:05, and she says I can't go home at 4:50. I can go home only after 5:00 p.m. She says I can't even go out for coffee I have to drink my coffee…
a. in the office. c. on the street. b. at home. d. in a restaurant.
TASK 2: “Students are at their desks but their brains are at home in bed.” W
hy are typical teenagers never tired at 11 p.m. but they hate getting up in the morning? Are they lazy? No, the good news is that it’s natural.
Everyone has a natural body clock which tells them when to wake up and fall asleep. In teenagers, the chemical that controls sleep, melatonin, is in their brains between 11.00 p.m. and 8.00 a.m. The result is that teenagers don’t feel tired late in the evening but, when they get up before 8 a.m. their brain is telling them to sleep. This lack of sleep means they are often unhappy, angry, can’t learn and get bad marks.
n the US, a lot of high schools start at about 7.30 in the morning. This means the students are at their desks after only five or six hours’ sleep. However, they need 9-10 hours because their bodies and brains are still developing so they are very tired. Tiredness means 20 percent of high school students fall asleep during their first two hours of school.
Sleep scientists are researching the problem. They say that it is crazy to fight nature so the only answer is for schools to start later. As one scientist said, ‘At 7.30 a.m. students are at their desks but their brains are at home in bed.’ Luckily, some head teachers listened to the new scientific advice and changed their school hours. The results are very interesting: teachers and parents say students behave better, learn more, get better marks and fewer students drop out.
TASK 2A: PRE-READING ACTIVITY: Who says these things? Write PARENTS or TEENAGER.
What time are they said? Write NIGHT or MORNING.
Didn’t you hear me? It’s time to get up! PARENTS MORNING
Go to bed-you’ve got school tomorrow! PARENTS NIGHT
I was having a lovely dream. TEENAGER MORNING
NO, I’m not tired. I’m going to watch this film. TEENAGER NIGHT
Just five more minutes…. Zzzz Zzzz TEENAGER MORNING
But I’m reading and it’s a really exciting bit. TEENAGER NIGHT
TASK 2B: Which of the following can be the best title for the text?
How much sleep everyone needs.
Why teenagers are tired in the morning.
School times in the USA.
The effects of sleep on our brains.
TASK 2C: Match the definitions given below with the underlined words from the text.
TIREDNESS (n) the feeling that you want to sleep.
LACK (n) when there is not enough of something.
BEHAVE (v) to do things in a particular way.
NATURE (n) everything in the world not made or controlled by people.
RESEARCHING (v) studying carefully to find new information.
TASK 2D: Complete each sentence with the best alternative.