24. What does Malcolm refuse to do when he first gets to prison? Why does he do this?
25. What does Baines think he is trying to be with his straight hair?
26. Explain Baines’ statement: “Elijah Mohammad can get you out of the prison of your mind.”
27. What things does Malcolm have to give up to regain his respect for his body and his mind?
28. What does the word “black” mean by dictionary definition? What about “white”?
29. Explain: “Take one step toward Allah, and he’ll take two steps towards you.”
30. What condition is Archie in when Malcolm visits him? How does this make Malcolm feel?
31. Explain Shorty’s quote: “I love pigs feet and white women too much.”
32. What style of dress do the Muslim men wear? The Muslim women?
33. What is the responsibility of women in this society?
34. Why does Betty say that she is “tall enough for a tall man”?
35. When Malcolm goes to the police station what is he trying to do?
36. What small gesture does he use to get all the men marching away together?
37. Explain the cop’s comment: “That’s too much power for one man to have.”
38. Explain Malcolm’s comment: “The only thing I like integrated is my coffee.”
39. Who is the new kid that wants to be a Muslim?
40. Elijah Muhammad uses the analogy of the dirty glass to demonstrate what point?
41. Explain Malcolm’s speech: “Love your enemy. No, that’s not intelligent! The black man has a right to defend himself.”
42. According to Malcolm, why did he change his name to X?
43. Why does Baines claim that Malcolm is “of great benefit to himself”? What does he believe has changed about Malcolm?
45. Why does Betty believe that Malcolm is “in trouble”?
46. What is Elijah Muhammad accused of in the newspapers?
47. Malcolm calls the assassination of Pres. Kennedy “the chickens coming home to roost.” What does he mean and what does Elijah Muhammad do about it?
48. Why does Malcolm go on a pilgrimage to Mecca?
49. How do you know that the CIA is following him?
50. In his letter to Betty, Malcolm explains that he is starting to feel like a “complete human being.” What does he mean?
51. Who is starting to harass Betty with prank phone calls?
52. The CIA and the nation of Islam are beginning to work together to get rid of Malcolm. They were enemies, so why are they now working together?
53. The director chose to splice in real film footage in the funeral scenes. Why does this make the last scenes more powerful?
54. At the end of the film, a series of children stand up and proclaim “I am Malcolm X.” What do they mean?