Students will use Van Gogh’s Portrait of Joseph Roulin as inspiration for their own portraits of friends in the classroom.
- learn about portraits.
- analyze Van Gogh’s use of line in his Portrait of Joseph Roulin.
- learn the technique of hatching and cross-hatching.
- use the art element of line, along with the techniques of hatching and cross-hatching, to execute a portrait.
- Image of Portrait of Joseph Roulin by Vincent van Gogh
- Drawing paper
- Ink pens
- Reed pens
- India ink
- Looking at Portraits Glossary