1. Roger Williams founded Providence after being expelled from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
2. Anne Hutchinson was found guilty of sedition and later founded a settlement near Providence.
3. Thomas Hooker was instrumental in writing the Fundamental Orders for the colony of Connecticut.
4. New Hampshire was founded by settlers seeking better farmland.
5. Land disputes between settlers and Native Americans led to war.
Lesson Title: New England’s Economy Pages: 200-204
New England’s economy depended mostly on resources found in the ocean (whaling/fishing) and in the forests (trading/shipbuilding.)
Key Vocabulary: industry— all the businesses that make one kind of product or provide one kind of service.