Lesson Element Freud (1909): Little Hans – a case study of a phobia
Using the information around the room, complete the table.
Using the internet, research the stages of psychosexual development.
Psychosexual stages of development
Conclusion: Hans suffered a phobia of horses because he was suffering from castration anxiety and going through the Oedipus complex. Dreams, fantasies helped express this conflict and eventually he resolved his Oedipus complex by fantasising himself taking on his father’s role and placing his father in the role of grandfather.
Key questions on the study
1. What causes Hans to develop a fear of castration?
2. What real-life event could be linked to his phobia of horses?
3. What was the conflict that had developed between Hans and his father?
4. Describe why Freud suggested that Hans’ fear of horses represented his father?
5. Outline one dream had by Little Hans.
6. Outline one fantasy had by Little Hans.
Evaluation of the Case Study
Download 79.65 Kb.
Share with your friends:
The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2022