The information we have presented so far shows us that the theory of evolution is a claim evidently at variance with scientific findings. The theory’s claim on the origin of life is inconsistent with science, the evolutionary mechanisms it proposes have no evolutionary power, and fossils demonstrate that the intermediate forms required by the theory never existed. So, it certainly follows that the theory of evolution should be pushed aside as an unscientific idea. This is how many ideas such as the earth-centered universe model have been taken out of the agenda of science throughout history.
However, the theory of evolution is pressingly kept on the agenda of science. Some people even try to represent criticisms directed against the theory as an "attack on science." Why?
The reason is that the theory of evolution is an indispensable dogmatic belief for some circles. These circles are blindly devoted to materialist philosophy and adopt Darwinism because it is the only materialist explanation that can be put forward for the workings of nature.
Interestingly enough, they also confess this fact from time to time. A well known geneticist and an outspoken evolutionist, Richard C. Lewontin from Harvard University, confesses that he is "first and foremost a materialist and then a scientist":
It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, so we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. 28
These are explicit statements that Darwinism is a dogma kept alive just for the sake of adherence to the materialist philosophy. This dogma maintains that there is no being save matter. Therefore, it argues that inanimate, unconscious matter created life. It insists that millions of different living species; for instance, birds, fish, giraffes, tigers, insects, trees, flowers, whales and human beings originated as a result of the interactions between matter such as the pouring rain, the lightning flash, etc., out of inanimate matter. This is a precept contrary both to reason and science. Yet Darwinists continue to defend it just so as "not to allow a Divine Foot in the door."
Anyone who does not look at the origin of living beings with a materialist prejudice will see this evident truth: All living beings are works of a Creator, Who is All-Powerful, All-Wise and All-Knowing. This Creator is Allah, Who created the whole universe from non-existence, designed it in the most perfect form, and fashioned all living beings. NOTES
1. Prof. Süleyman Ateş, Yüce Kur’an’ın Çağdaş Tefsiri (The Contemporary Tafsir of the Holy Qur’an)
2. Tafsir of Omer Nasuhi Bilmen
3. Prof. Süleyman Ateş, Yüce Kur’an’ın Çağdaş Tefsiri (The Contemporary Tafsir of the Holy Qur’an, vol. 6, p. 4281)
4. Said-i Nursi, The Letters, The Fifteenth Letter, p.53
5. Said-i Nursi, The Letters, The Fifteenth Letter, p.54
21. Douglas J. Futuyma, Science on Trial, New York: Pantheon Books, 1983. p. 197
22. Solly Zuckerman, Beyond The Ivory Tower, New York: Toplinger Publications, 1970, ss. 75-94; Charles E. Oxnard, "The Place of Australopithecines in Human Evolution: Grounds for Doubt", Nature, Vol. 258, p. 389
23. J. Rennie, "Darwin's Current Bulldog: Ernst Mayr", Scientific American, December 1992
24. Alan Walker, Science, vol. 207, 1980, p. 1103; A. J. Kelso, Physical Antropology, 1st ed., New York: J. B. Lipincott Co., 1970, p. 221; M. D. Leakey, Olduvai Gorge, vol. 3, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1971, p. 272
25. Time, November 1996
26. S. J. Gould, Natural History, vol. 85, 1976, p. 30
27. Solly Zuckerman, Beyond The Ivory Tower, New York: Toplinger Publications, 1970, p. 19
28. Richard Lewontin, "The Demon-Haunted World", The New York Review of Books, 9 January, 1997, p. 28