(b Bath, 12 March 1928; d London, 17 Jan 2000). English trumpeter. He studied with Ernest Hall at the RCM from 1944 to 1948. His first appointment was at Covent Garden (1948–51), where he was probably the only trumpeter to have performed Wagner's Ring both on the bass trumpet and as principal trumpeter in consecutive seasons. He was subsequently principal trumpeter with nearly all the major London orchestras, including the RPO (1956–60), the Philharmonia (1960–64), the LPO (1964–5), the NPO (1965–7) and the BBC SO (1968–72). He was also a freelance player, and, in 1967–8, a manager. In 1951 he formed the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, which soon consisted of two basic formations: a quintet (two trumpets, horn, trombone and tuba) and a ten-piece group, for the larger concert halls in Germany, the USA and Japan. The ensemble, which disbanded in 1986, gained world renown, with numerous recordings and first performances, and was widely emulated. Jones was head of the wind and percussion department of the RNCM, 1975–7, and of the GSM, 1983–8; from 1988 to 1994 he was principal of Trinity College of Music. He was made an OBE in 1977 and a CBE in 1986.