1937 Some of the joists supporting the main floor are replaced.
Curtains, draperies, alcove beds, bedspreads, and hangings, are added.
1938 Restoration of the north dependencies and terrace begins. Grigg & Johnson are the architects working closely with Fiske Kimball, chairman of the restoration committee. The contractor is Charlottesville Lumber Company, with Robert E. Lee, Jr. the principal in charge.
Brick walls are re-pointed.
The Levy sashes and the wood floor in the Northwest Piazza are removed, and a brick floor laid.
The terraces at the four corners of the house are rebuilt and the steps and floors paved with slate. The Jefferson-period terraces had been rebuilt during the Levy period.
Slate is added to the treads of the Southwest Portico steps (see 1924).
Edwin M. Betts is named to the restoration committee.
1939 The West Lawn gardens are restored by the Garden Club of Virginia. Garland A. Wood is the landscape architect, with drawings by Floyd E. Johnson, architect. The work is completed in 1940.