What people or place was the…
1. North African empire that fought the Punic Wars?
2. Queen of Egypt who allied with Marc Antony?
ANSWER: Cleopatra VII
2. Tribe who invaded Rome under Attila?
4. Dominant civilization in north Italy before the Romans?
ANSWER: Etruscans [or Tyrrhenians]
5. Group under Odoacer that overthrew the last Western Emperor?
ANSWER: Ostrogoths (prompt on “Goths”)
6. Tribe who, as their name suggests, destructively sacked Rome in 455?
7. Tribe that set up its own kingdom in Spain and included the sack leader Alaric?
ANSWER: Visigoths (prompt on “Goths”)
8. Residents of modern-day Romania against whom Trajan warred?
ANSWER: the Dacians
In historical correspondence, who or what was the...
1. War which broke out despite the "Willy-Nicky" letters in 1914
ANSWER: World War I
2. Prussian premier who changed the Ems Dispatch, starting the Franco-Prussian War.
ANSWER: Otto von Bismarck
3. Loser of a power struggle with Stalin who wrote anti-Soviet letters before being killed in Mexico.
ANSWER: Leon Trotsky [or Lev Davidovich Bronstein]
4. Holder of nonconsecutive Presidencies who was scandalized by the Murchison Letter
ANSWER: Stephen Grover Cleveland
5. War in which the Rough Riders served that broke out over the De Lome letter
ANSWER: Spanish-American War
6. British political party that lost to the Conservatives after the Zinoviev Letter was printed
ANSWER: Labour Party
7. Foreign Secretary who wrote a "Declaration" in support of a Jewish homeland
ANSWER: Arthur James Balfour
8. Empire that had a postal service on its Royal Road from Sardis to Susa
In the Cold War, who…
1. Was the Non-Aligned longtime leader of Yugoslavia?
ANSWER: Tito [or Josip Broz]
2. Oversaw the reunification of Germany as Chancellor?
ANSWER: Helmut Kohl
3. Served as Premier of China from 1949 to 1976?
ANSWER: Zhou Enlai
4. Led the Solidarity strike that ultimately ended Communism in Poland?
ANSWER: Lech Walesa
5. Was a playwright-dissident who became the elected president of the Czech Republic?
ANSWER: Vaclav Havel
6. Led the Kuomintang for decades after it had retreated to Taiwan?
ANSWER: Chiang Kai-shek
7. Was the Socialist president of France in the 1980s?
ANSWER: Francois Mitterand
8. Led a liberal movement that was crushed in 1956 in Hungary?
ANSWER: Imre Nagy (NAJ)