1. Did the Republican Party from 1877 –1896 abandon its earlier principles and
succumb to expediency? (72)
2. Although the economic growth of the United States between 1860 and 1900 has been
attributed to a governmental policy of laissez-faire, it was in fact encouraged and
sustained by direct governmental intervention. Assess the validity of this statement.
3. Political movements in the U.S. often reflect a yearning for the past. Assess the
validity of this statement in reference to the Populists. (73)
4. Both the Jacksonian Democrats during 1824-1840 and the Populists during 1890 –
1896 attacked and sought out special privilege in American life. The Jacksonian
Democrats attained power and succeeded; the populists failed. Assess the validity of
this view. Give roughly equal attention to the Jacksonian Democrats and the
5. In what ways were the late nineteenth century Populists the heirs of the Jacksonian
Democrats with respect to overall objectives AND specific proposals for reform?
6. Analyze the reasons for the emergence of the Populist movement in the late
nineteenth century. (95)
affected by technological developments and government actions? ( 99)