History of the Graduate School at Texas Woman's University
Graduate study began at TWU in 1930 in order to meet the demand for graduate education for women. Since 1952 the Graduate School has operated as a unit under its own Dean and Graduate Council. Doctoral degrees were first awarded in 1953.
The Graduate School is administered by the Dean of the Graduate School in accordance with policies established by the Graduate Council, as authorized by the Board of Regents.